[comp.sys.mac.misc] System 7.0

cory@three.MV.COM (Cory Kempf) (06/15/90)

comorad@turing.cs.rpi.edu (David Comora) writes:

>Does anybody know what the exact release date for Sys.7.0?
>			--David

No, nobody knows the exact release date for System 7.0.  I
would even be willing to bet that this includes Apple as
well.

+C
--
Cory Kempf				I do speak for the company (sometimes).
Three Letter Company						603 883 2474

jsf@sdbio2.ucsd.edu (Joann Furse) (08/29/90)

Does anyone know WHEN it will be released?  Is it
any closer?
J. Furse
Computer Services
UCSD Dept. Biology

pillera@etd4260a.erim.org (Joe Pillera) (08/29/90)

Don't hold your breath.

P.S.
This opinion is solely my own, and not of my employer.

rjakcsy@nmsu.edu (Robert A Jakcsy) (08/30/90)

Never, Never, Never.

And did I mention Never.
--
Robert Jakcsy			|     'Let me splain, no there is too much,
Small Systems			|      let me sum up...'

J._D._Demaree@ub.cc.umich.edu (Derek Demaree) (08/30/90)

Yesterday at my university's "computer kickoff" sale, an Apple
spokesperson told me
that system 7.0 would be released "around next January".

rubin@mead.UUCP (Daniel Rubin) (08/31/90)

>that system 7.0 would be released "around next January".

What - Do you mean a year from this January or this January ????

						- Dan Rubin

jschwart@parker.rutgers.edu (Jeff Schwartz) (05/19/91)

I have been trying for days to get system 7.0.  The local apple
dealers are more than happy to SELL it to me for 99.95 if and when
they ever get it.  One was even willing to let me download it from his
server for the low low price of 50.00  I tried ftp.apple.com and that
has proven to be even more frustrating.  Is there an easier way (aside
from scrapping the mac and geting something built around a 386?)
Thanks in advance
-Jeff
(Amateur Call: KA2QOU)
--

                                                  -Jeff
      jschwart@hardees.rutgers.edu           Amateur Call: KA2QOU

      Jeff Schwartz
      RPO 6129 Box 5063
      New Brunswick, New Jersey 08903
      (201) 878-2340

ddev@wam.umd.edu (Don DeVoe) (05/19/91)

In article <May.18.19.08.42.1991.4446@parker.rutgers.edu> jschwart@parker.rutgers.edu (Jeff Schwartz) writes:

>I have been trying for days to get system 7.0.  The local apple
>dealers are more than happy to SELL it to me for 99.95 if and when
>they ever get it.  One was even willing to let me download it from his
>server for the low low price of 50.00  I tried ftp.apple.com and that
>has proven to be even more frustrating.  Is there an easier way (aside
>from scrapping the mac and geting something built around a 386?)

Waitaminit...you think getting (and using) a PC clone will be less
frustrating than waiting for ftp.apple.com to get straightened out???
Something is wrong with this picture...
--
Don DeVoe
ddev@wam.umd.edu

umduddr0@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Brendan Duddridge) (05/20/91)

In <May.18.19.08.42.1991.4446@parker.rutgers.edu> jschwart@parker.rutgers.edu (Jeff Schwartz) writes:

>I have been trying for days to get system 7.0.  The local apple
>dealers are more than happy to SELL it to me for 99.95 if and when
>they ever get it.  One was even willing to let me download it from his
>server for the low low price of 50.00  I tried ftp.apple.com and that
>has proven to be even more frustrating.  Is there an easier way (aside
>from scrapping the mac and geting something built around a 386?)
>Thanks in advance
>-Jeff
>(Amateur Call: KA2QOU)

So what you're saying is that because a dealer won't give you a FREE copy of
System 7 (which he is NOT obliged to do), you'll go out and buy an MS-DOS
system instead?  What the hell is wrong with people?  Is Microsoft GIVING AWAY
Windows 3.0???  NO!  Then why should Apple?  But they are... You just have to
be patient and wait until you can get a copy by whatever means you like.  Try
downloading it from America Online or CompuServe or Genie.  But I gather you're
just too DAMN cheap to bother paying for those services either!  Everything in
this world costs somebody money.  It's not right for a dealer to let any Joe
Blow walk off the street and come in and copy 8-12 disks for nothing.  Would
you let anyone walk off the street into your home and demand that you give them
System 7 for nothing (legal issues aside)?

All I can say is go ahead and buy your MS-DOS piece of crap, because we don't
need people like you in the Macintosh community.

Brendan Duddridge
umduddr0@ccu.umanitoba.ca

autry@sgi.com (Larry Autry) (05/20/91)

In article <1991May19.191154.11505@ccu.umanitoba.ca> umduddr0@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Brendan Duddridge) writes:
>All I can say is go ahead and buy your MS-DOS piece of crap, because we don't
>need people like you in the Macintosh community.
>
>Brendan Duddridge
>umduddr0@ccu.umanitoba.ca
Who is we?  I think all points of view are welcome.  Let's just not go over-
board.  Personally, I think that Apple is not obligated to offer System 7.0
free.  On the other hand I'll take it via ftp or otherwise since it is offered
that way.   I see this kind of flaming on the net frequently and it's really
irritating that some people can be so cold as to put out something so strong
as the above.

--
Larry Autry
autry@sgi.com

francis@trillian.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (05/20/91)

In article <May.18.19.08.42.1991.4446@parker.rutgers.edu> jschwart@parker.rutgers.edu (Jeff Schwartz) writes:

   I have been trying for days to get system 7.0.  The local apple
   dealers are more than happy to SELL it to me for 99.95 if and when
   they ever get it.  One was even willing to let me download it from his
   server for the low low price of 50.00  I tried ftp.apple.com and that

Is this the price of the disks? I *think* Apple's policy is that
dealers, while not required to let you copy it, shouldn't charge more
than the price of the disks.  (Which should be <<$50.)

--
/============================================================================\
| Francis Stracke	       | My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|

cjeff@ghoti.lcs.mit.edu (Carl J.M. Alexander) (05/20/91)

In article <May.18.19.08.42.1991.4446@parker.rutgers.edu> jschwart@parker.rutgers.edu (Jeff Schwartz) writes:

>I have been trying for days to get system 7.0.  The local apple
>dealers are more than happy to SELL it to me for 99.95 if and when
>they ever get it.  One was even willing to let me download it from his
>server for the low low price of 50.00  I tried ftp.apple.com and that
>has proven to be even more frustrating.  Is there an easier way....

Yes, there is:  Call the Boston Computer Society's Mac Users Group
office (01+617-625-7080) weekdays from 10 and 5 (except lunch, 1 to 2)
I believe it's $25.00 plus shipping.

--Carl Alexander
News Editor, The Active Window
cjeff@ghoti.lcs.mit.edu

ins_apw@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Philip Wong) (05/21/91)

On that point, is it legal for a dealer to sell the system software if you
were to download it from his server?  And at a $50.00 price tag?  I understand
apple is encouraging dealers to charge 5-10 dollars for the system and calling
it "copying charge."  I think this is very bogus.  Many dealers will still
give you a free copy.  It's the lame dealers who want to charge and make a
quick buck.  What's apple's game?  Why come up with this stupid idea?  I understand they want you to buy the hundred dollar system 7 box, but why let the dealers charge for copying?  They never encourgaged this before...

ins_apw@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU
Philip Wong
(301) 235-3998

jclee@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Jimmy Lee) (06/02/91)

Fist of all, System 7.0 requires a minimum of 2 megs and a hard disk
to operate, but you will not have enough ram to load one big program
or several programs at once.  VM is out for those of you who does
not have a PMMU chip--that's the Plus, SE, Classic, LC, and, I think
some of the Mac II's.  Tip--get at least 4 megs.  Even though some
of you can't use VM, don't feel sad because VM slows down the
computer to a snail--well, close to it.

System 7.0 loves to access your hard disk a lot.  For those of you
in the market for a hard disk, get a Quantum because it will make
your life a whole lot better in terms of speed.  If you don't have
the money to buy another hard disk then set the ram cache to a value
of at least 128--the more the better provided you have the ram.  I
set mine at 256 and works great.  With this setting the accesses to
my hard disk is cut in half.

For those with Mac +'s, try formatting you drive with Silverlining
5.27 or later.  While in the program, choose "Silverlining fast
blind" SCSI loop--if your hard disk will support it.  Next, still
hungry for speed, check to see if you need to increase the system
heap.  Look at the bar under the "About this Macintosh" to see if
there is a 20-25 % of free space.  If not, get the program call
"Bootman" or "Heapfixer" to increase the heap.  Tip--even though
System 7.0 will adjust the heap automatically, do use the program to
increase the heap--beyond that of the 20-25%.  For example, I set my
heap up to 1024K, even though at 750K the 20-25% is met.  The more
the better, provided you have the ram, but don't go crazy and
incease the heap to 4098K--don't abuse it. Restart and enjoy your
"new" Mac Plus.  Things I noticed after following these
recommendations. 1-loading and quiting applications is a lot faster.
                 2-duplicating files a lot faster
                 3-opening and closing folders a lot faster
                 4-speed could match or beat that of a SE.
                 5-speed could match or beat that of a SE/30-just
                   kidding!

New stuff with System 7.0.  When duplicating files, the computer now
will read and write at 100K chunks instead of the 200K chunk with
System 6.0X.  This seems to speed up things visually, but when time
is concern, it slows down.  Things are slow in the finder, but
blazes in the application.  Switching between applications is smooth
as silk.  Loading and working in Ms Word is faster, but the Print
Preview is slow it you are using TrueType fonts instead of the
Bit-Mapped.  Tip-if you are only using one size of a particular
font, then take out the TrueType in the system suitcase and put back
the Bit-Mapped.  Oh, how can you tell which one is which.  TrueType
icon will have three different sizes of "A" and Bit-Mapped will have
only a single "A" drawn in the icon.  Opening each folder is slow
or fast depending on your point of reference.  With Sys. 7, once you
double click on the folder, the pointer changes into a watch and
some processing is needed before it opens.  In Sys 6.0X, once you
double-click, it opens instantaneously.  In Sys 7.0, after the
"processing," the folder will shoot out at you.  In 6.0X, that
effect is much subtle.

Enjoy your new software.  If there are any questions, email or post
on the net.  I do not work for anyone and am not responsible for any
damages it may have caused with the tips I give.  Try only with your
valuable data back up.

I have a Mac Plus, with 4 megs, 40 meg Ehman Hard Drive, running
system Seven since May 15th.  Not had any major problem YET--I
better keep my mouth shut!

rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) (06/04/91)

In article <20016@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> jclee@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Jimmy Lee) writes:
> Tip-if you are only using one size of a particular
> font, then take out the TrueType in the system suitcase and put back
> the Bit-Mapped.

Keep the TrueType *and* the bitmap, it's OK to have both. The system will
use a bitmap instead of a TrueType font when the bitmap is available in
the correct size.

Rick Holzgrafe              |    {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!rmh
Software Engineer           | AppleLink HOLZGRAFE1          rmh@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.        |  "All opinions expressed are mine, and do
20525 Mariani Ave. MS: 3-PK |    not necessarily represent those of my
Cupertino, CA 95014         |        employer, Apple Computer Inc."

kaufman@neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (06/04/91)

rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) writes:

>In article <20016@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> jclee@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Jimmy Lee) writes:
-> Tip-if you are only using one size of a particular
-> font, then take out the TrueType in the system suitcase and put back
-> the Bit-Mapped.

>Keep the TrueType *and* the bitmap, it's OK to have both. The system will
>use a bitmap instead of a TrueType font when the bitmap is available in
>the correct size.

However, you should be aware that the font metrics for the bitmaps are not
the same as for the TrueType outlines, so that DrawString will give different
length results depending on which one you are using.

Apple: why didn't you recalculate the Bit-Mapped font metrics so they match
the TrueType metrics?

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)