[comp.sys.mac.misc] Any PD inits/cdevs for having a custom background picture?

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (05/31/91)

All I want to do is use the "Marble" picture (from the HyperCard
"Background Art" stack) as the desktop picture on my SE, instead of
the blah gray checkerboard pattern or the other equally blah patterns
available through the General control panel.

I tried using DeskPict, but no matter where I put the INIT and the
"DeskPicture" file I've created, it doesn't even seem to load.

There's gotta be something out there to just give me a picture for my
background!  I'd prefer to still be able to use a different
startupscreen, but if need be, I can cope without that.  Can anyone
give me any suggestions or point me in the right direction?

I'm running System 7.0 on an SE.

advThanks!

     << Brian >>

| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"

clay@claris.com (Clay A. Maeckel) (06/04/91)

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:
>I tried using DeskPict, but no matter where I put the INIT and the
>"DeskPicture" file I've created, it doesn't even seem to load.

DeskPICT only worked with Macs that have Color QuickDraw installed. The
commercial version (part of the Now Utilities package) works with all
Macs and only has a slight redraw problem under System 7.0 that is fixed
in the next version that is going out.

--Clay
(DeskPICT and DeskPicture author when not writing code for Claris)

--
 Clay Maeckel         *   Internet:    clay@claris.com   *        *   *
 (I know nothing!)    *   CompuServe:  73057,255         *          v

price@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu (John Price) (06/04/91)

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:
>I tried using DeskPict, but no matter where I put the INIT and the
>"DeskPicture" file I've created, it doesn't even seem to load.

	Backdrop appears to be System Seven Studly.  At least, I haven't
noticed any problems...

           John Price * * * * price@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu
           Where there is no solution, there is no problem.