[comp.sys.mac.misc] Bloated System eats RAM!!

stanger@otago.ac.nz (Nigel Stanger) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May29.163231.26437@midway.uchicago.edu>, ahj1@quads.uchicago.edu (andrew howard jaffe) writes:
> (I'm not sure how to include pieces of the original message in
> my followup; however, the gist [sic] is as follows)
>
>   Memory usage of system went up from 800k to 2.4Meg.
>
> This happenned to me to. Check the setting of your Memory Cache
> (Memory CDEV). Sometimes the installer or other stuff seems to
> screw with it.

I was running 6.0.5 on a 4Mb SE, somewhere around 1Mb used by the
system, no problem.

I bought an LC. Installed 6.0.7 on the hard disk and booted up.
System used about 1Mb, as before, which made things a little
tight on a 2Mb machine.

I bought 10Mb RAM for the LC (just for fun :-). Installed fine,
booted up. WHOA! 3Mb used by the System! What the hey?? Since
then I have upgraded to 7.0. It occupies 3Mb of RAM. I have tried
switching off *everything* that could be switched off, and it
*still* occupies 2.5Mb! Any ideas as to what might be causing
this and how I can make my system go on a diet? Thanks in
advance.

--
See ya
                                Nigel.

rotberg@dms.UUCP (Ed Rotberg) (05/30/91)

From article <1991May30.134717.448@otago.ac.nz>, by stanger@otago.ac.nz (Nigel Stanger):

> I bought 10Mb RAM for the LC (just for fun :-). Installed fine,
> booted up. WHOA! 3Mb used by the System! What the hey?? Since
> then I have upgraded to 7.0. It occupies 3Mb of RAM. I have tried
> switching off *everything* that could be switched off, and it
> *still* occupies 2.5Mb! Any ideas as to what might be causing
> this and how I can make my system go on a diet? Thanks in
> advance.

My first guess is that you are using the new TMON Pro.  I had the very
same reaction when I started running System 7.0 and then I realized
that I was still running TMON Pro in "robust" mode.  This took up
nearly another Meg all by itself.  If you truly have *everything*
switched off, then get rid of fonts and sounds, because they certainly
will eat up huge gobs of RAM.  Also, try removing the bitmap fonts
from you system file for those fonts for which True Type fonts
exist.  If you really need to trim the system, dump the True Type
fonts and install only a couple of sizes of the bitmap fonts.

Good Luck.  My current plan is to buy some 4 MEG SIMMs.

	- Ed Rotberg -

rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May30.134717.448@otago.ac.nz> stanger@otago.ac.nz (Nigel
Stanger) writes:
> I bought 10Mb RAM for the LC (just for fun :-). Installed fine,
> booted up. WHOA! 3Mb used by the System! What the hey?? Since
> then I have upgraded to 7.0. It occupies 3Mb of RAM.

You are probably running in 24-bit mode. In that mode, your system cannot
access more than 8 Meg of memory. Any extra is charged to the system,
although in fact it's not used. So your system is using 1 Meg, ignoring
another 2, leaving 7 for your apps.

Open the "Memory" control panel and turn on 32-bit addressing. (If there's
no control for this, then the LC can't do it - but I think it can.)
Restart your machine. You should now find that the "missing" two megabytes
are available for use.

There's a price to pay for running in 32-bit mode: lots of old apps aren't
"32-bit clean" and will bomb in 32-bit mode. (So make backups, then
experiment cautiously.) That's why it's an option whose default is "off".
Contact the companies that made the incompatible apps to ask about
upgrades.

Hope this helps.

Rick Holzgrafe              |    {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!rmh
Software Engineer           | AppleLink HOLZGRAFE1          rmh@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.        |  "All opinions expressed are mine, and do
20525 Mariani Ave. MS: 3-PK |    not necessarily represent those of my
Cupertino, CA 95014         |        employer, Apple Computer Inc."

marshall@kauri.vuw.ac.nz (Stephen Marshall) (06/04/91)

This message is empty.