[comp.sys.mac.misc] Question: How to change key map.

sawada@etlsun42.etl.go.jp (Toshimi sawada) (05/30/91)

Does any one know how th chane the key map of Apple keyboard?
e.g., control key => delete key.

Is there any technique using ResEdit or some other resource editting
tools?

Thanks in advance!
--
Toshimi Sawada        Electrotechnical Laboratory, Japan
sawada@etl.go.jp      Computer Language Section.

Patrick.Hayes@cediag.bull.fr (Patrick Hayes) (06/04/91)

In article <SAWADA.91May30162149@etlsun42.etl.go.jp> sawada@etlsun42.etl.go.jp (Toshimi sawada) writes:
>Does any one know how th chane the key map of Apple keyboard?
>e.g., control key => delete key.
>
>Is there any technique using ResEdit or some other resource editting
>tools?
Yes and no...
There appears to be at least 3 steps which need to be taken in order to be
able to do this with the recent macs:
	1) Physically modify the keyboard to switch the blocking portion of
	   the key from the CAPS lock to the control key. I'm not going to go
	   into detail on this, but I've done it and It's no harder than
	   opening up a mac to put SIMMs in if you're careful.
	2) Using one of the recent ResEdit versions (2.0 or later apparently),
	   Modify the system keymap to switch the key mappings. Again no
	   details, but should be documented in the new resedit manual, and I
	   performed the modification easily with the help of an article
	   explaining the use of resedit in a recent Macuser/world.
	3) And here's where I'm stuck, Add a ptch ressource to the System to
	   override the kchr in the ROM. Could anyone with a greater knowledge
	   fill me in on exactly what needs to be done? I'm over my head at
	   this point.

I should warn you though, performing these modifications can become a tiring
experience quickly. Most of the people I've met who want to do this, do so to
use Comm programs, and unfortunately the majority of Comm programs I've seen
so far, or at least the ones I've found usable like NCSA-telnet or Zterm, use
their OWN modified kchr. You'd have to go through all these programs and do
step 2 for each one. And when a new system comes out, you have to modify it's
kchr, etc...

Pat
--

+-------------------------------+-----------------------------------------+
| Patrick Hayes                 |  EMail :  Patrick.Hayes@cediag.bull.fr  |

jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (george) (06/05/91)

:There appears to be at least 3 steps which need to be taken in order to be
:able to do this with the recent macs:
:	1) Physically modify the keyboard to switch the blocking portion of

:	2) Using one of the recent ResEdit versions (2.0 or later apparently),
:	   Modify the system keymap to switch the key mappings. Again no
:	3) And here's where I'm stuck, Add a ptch ressource to the System to
:	   override the kchr in the ROM.

I've just done 1 and 2, and it works well with one annoyance.
Quickkeys ( light ) refuses to recognise the caps lock as control
( it doesn't see the caps-lock key as a modifier at all )
Would #3 fix this?
can i resedit qk?
would it help if i upgrade to full quickkeys 2.x?
--
-george            george@mech.seas.upenn.edu