[comp.sys.mac.misc] MacDraw to DXF format possible?

loganj@yvax.byu.edu (05/25/91)

We need to use a MacDraw Document in AutoCad (on a PC) which wants
DXF format.  Any suggestions welcome?

Thanks,
Jim Logan
loganj@yvax.byu.edu
loganj@byuvax.bitnet

osh@jhereg.osa.com (John M. O'Shaughnessy) (05/28/91)

The Claris Graphics Translator (CGT) from Claris Corporation is what you
need.  This product can convert from Claris CAD into DXF and DXF into
Claris CAD (as well as many other translations.)

I believe the purchase price is about US $300.00

John

--
John M. O'Shaughnessy            osh@osa.com
Open Systems Architects, Inc.    Minneapolis, MN

marosen@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Mark Rosen) (05/30/91)

What's the best way to get from an AutoCad file to the Mac?  My
brother would like to take his AutoCad drawing and bring it to a
printing dude that uses the make to make cool slides.
Mark J. Rosen     |   Internet:  marosen@elbereth.rutgers.edu

bobert@Autodesk.COM (Robert Murphy) (06/05/91)

In article <May.29.19.08.57.1991.8837@elbereth.rutgers.edu> marosen@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Mark Rosen) writes:
>What's the best way to get from an AutoCad file to the Mac?  My
>brother would like to take his AutoCad drawing and bring it to a
>printing dude that uses the make to make cool slides.

The best way is using AutoCAD for the Mac.  It will freely read AutoCAD
drawings made on other hardware platforms.  You don't even need to export
them as DXF files; you can read raw DWG files.

One drawback.  The current shipping version of AutoCAD (Release 10) is a
mere $3000.  The forthcoming Release 11 is $3500.  That's a little expensive
for making cool slides, in my opinion.

There are a bunch of utilities that do this.  Somebody mentioned one from
Claris.  There's another one called CADMover that's a few $100, too.  Also,
some of the desktop publishing programs that started on DOS, notably Ventura
Publisher, will read DXF files in their Mac incarnations.

Bob Murphy
bobert@autodesk.com

Disclaimer: I get Mac AutoCAD for free, because I write it.