[comp.sys.mac.misc] System 6.0.7 from 800kb to 2.4Mb?

HAMBRECHT@rcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Jochen Hambrecht) (05/29/91)

After installing some more memory in my LC, I noticed that the
system size went up from what used to be approx. 800kb (having
2Mb RAM installed) to over 2.4 Mb (with 10Mb RAM installed).

After removing all cdevs, da's and everything else that is " non-
Apple", I still was not able to reduce the amount of RAM the
system occupies to less than 2.4 Mb with an absolutely bare-bones
system 6.0.7 running Multifinder with a 32 kb RAM cache.

Has anyone seen something like this happen before who would be
willing to share his/her insights into the cause of the problem?

Jo Hambrecht
hambrecht@eng.ohio-state.edu

ahj1@quads.uchicago.edu (andrew howard jaffe) (05/29/91)

(I'm not sure how to include pieces of the original message in
my followup; however, the gist [sic] is as follows)

Memory usage of system went up from 800k to 2.4Meg.

This happenned to me to. Check the setting of your Memory Cache
(Memory CDEV). Sometimes the installer or other stuff seems to
screw with it.

-Andrew Jaffe

Brian.V.Hughes@dartmouth.edu (Brian V. Hughes) (06/06/91)

In article <1991May29.045410.15405@zardoz.eng.ohio-state.edu>
HAMBRECHT@rcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Jochen Hambrecht) writes:

> After installing some more memory in my LC, I noticed that the
> system size went up from what used to be approx. 800kb (having
> 2Mb RAM installed) to over 2.4 Mb (with 10Mb RAM installed).
>
> After removing all cdevs, da's and everything else that is " non-
> Apple", I still was not able to reduce the amount of RAM the
> system occupies to less than 2.4 Mb with an absolutely bare-bones
> system 6.0.7 running Multifinder with a 32 kb RAM cache.
>
> Has anyone seen something like this happen before who would be
> willing to share his/her insights into the cause of the problem?

    The problem is pretty simple but it isn't easy to fix. I also have
an LC with 10 Meg installed and my system heap is up around 3.4 meg.
The main problem is that a Mac running under 6.0.x cannot recognize
more that 8 Meg of Ram. All memory that is left over becomes part of
the system heap.
    Fortunately, you can fix this problem if you install system 7.0 and
run with 32 bit addressing turned on. This will allow your LC to
properly use the 10 meg that you have installed, as well as using
Virtual Memory if you have the hard drive space. Personally I have
found that the 40 Meg drive on the LC is WAY too small to effectively
keep what I need for my Database work in Filemaker Pro and Double
Helix. Thank god I got approval to purchace a 5/80 IISi that I can then
upgrade to 17 Meg.
    Hope this helps, later.

-Hades  (aka. The Hustler)      | -Hustler's Words of Wisdom-
 House Grifter                  |       "Cappuccino is irrelevant"
 Alpha Theta Co-Ed Fraternity   |               -- Peter K. Suk
 Dartmouth College              | -Internet:
hades@Eleazar.Dartmouth.Edu