[comp.sys.mac.misc] RasterOps Cards?

stump@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Robert E Mitchell) (06/04/91)

	I've finally decided to end my "7.0" woes and purchase a video card
for my IIsi. I would like to hear from any one who has had experiece with
the 264, the 24s, and the 24si.  Are they nice?  Are they compatible with
system 7.0.  I don't really need acceleration, as I wont be in 24bit mode very
often; the whole idea is just to get the video onto a card.  However, the
price of 8bit cards is not much lower than that of some 24bit cards, so why
not.  I think I read that the 24s has the option for upgrading to acceleration.
If so, this would be a grat pick...I think.  thats why I'm posting.  BTW, as
rasterops is concerned, I'm always interested in alternatives.  I will
post my find to the net in case anyone is in the same boat with me.  Thanks
for any and all replies, and for god's sake keep your si out of 256 color mode
with system 7 w/o a video card :^)

"It's like, how much more black could it be and the answer is none... none
 more black..."

						Spinal Tap

				Stump.
:

ejb@think.com (Erik Bailey) (06/04/91)

In article <135786@unix.cis.pitt.edu> stump@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Robert E Mitchell) writes:

>	I've finally decided to end my "7.0" woes and purchase a video card
>for my IIsi. [...]

>[...] and for god's sake keep your si out of 256 color mode
>with system 7 w/o a video card :^)

Well, I run *MY* IIsi in 256-color mode under system 7, and I'm pretty
happy! :-) Actually, there's really no reason NOT to, as long as you do two
things:

	1) turn off the "pretty" windows (with the Color cdev), so they
	   only display with B&W borders
	2) set the RAM Cache to 768k to speed up the built-in video

I find that (under sys 6.0.7, anyway) this makes 256-color mode as fast
as 16-color mode used to be, and 16-color mode as fast as B&W mode.  Under
Sys 7, it's a little slower, but not too bad.

Then again, if I could afford one, I'd probably do exactly what Robert is
doing and get a video card.  I just hate the idea of using up my one and
only slot... :-(  Too bad no one makes a 24-bit card with a cache or an
accellerator!

--Erik

--
      Erik Bailey       | 7 Oak Knoll         | Thinking Machines Corp.
      ejb@think.com     | Arlington, MA 02174 | 245 First St.

meyerm@netboss1.trg.saic.com (Mike Meyer) (06/06/91)

On a related topic, does anyone know of an 8-bit color graphics card for
the MacII machines which supports 1280x1024 resolution on the appropriate
monitor.  The most I have heard of is the Supermac Spectrum cards which go
up to 1152x870.  I need more!! In addition, the card should work under
A/UX (I'm planning to use the Mac as a glorified X-Terminal).

Respond by email or post.

Thanks in advance.

Mike Meyer
Science Applications