[comp.sys.mac.misc] System 7.0 on an SE/30

lubell@dcoomber.vitro.com (06/05/91)

I am running System 7.0 on an SE/30 with the standard 9 inch monochrome
monitor, and I'm having an odd problem.  Every once and a while, my trash can
icon changes appearance.  When this happens, other icons have a problem
refreshing when I select and then de-select them.  For instance, when I select
and de-select a folder icon, a black box remains around it.

Can anyone tell me what is causing this problem and how to fix it?

Josh

nwc1@quads.uchicago.edu (Einstuerzende Neubauten) (06/06/91)

I think that I had the same problem. The symptoms and the solution (which I
didn't do, it just took care of itself) say that the SE/30 considers itself
a very small screened no color Mac II. What happened was that the trashcan
icon looked a little funny. Sort of 3D. I checked with MacEnvy, and, sure
enough, under "video", it said: 1-bit color. Funny. So I was getting the
System 7.0 color cicn's (or whatever they're called, remember I don't have
any need to know what they are) for the trash. Later, this problem went away.

--
***                           The University of Chicago                     ***
*** Claimer: Beavers Are Gods.           Disclaimer: Believe What You Want. ***

lubell@dcoomber.vitro.com (06/06/91)

I previously posted a message about a Problem I have been having with System
7.0 where every once and a while my icons get screwed up when I select and
de-select them.  Thanks to two replies I got to this posting, I found out that
the cause of the problem is the driver for my HP Deskwriter printer (ver. 2.1).
 There is no fix for the problem yet, but HP says it's harmless.

Thanks to the two people who responded!

Josh

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun6.063826.16246@midway.uchicago.edu> nwc1@quads.uchicago.edu (Einstuerzende Neubauten) writes:
>I think that I had the same problem. The symptoms and the solution (which I
>didn't do, it just took care of itself) say that the SE/30 considers itself
>a very small screened no color Mac II. What happened was that the trashcan
>icon looked a little funny. Sort of 3D. I checked with MacEnvy, and, sure
>enough, under "video", it said: 1-bit color. Funny. So I was getting the
>System 7.0 color cicn's (or whatever they're called, remember I don't have
>any need to know what they are) for the trash. Later, this problem went away.

Just a note with regard to MacEnvy--it isn't totally happy with System
7.0.  I sent a note to Ken McLeod a while back, after finding that it
didn't know my IIfx from Adam :-)  He said a new MacEnvy is slowly being
created, and will address the new machines, System 7.0, etc.
--
| Paul E. Jacoby, 3M Company, 3M Center, 235-3F-27                   |