[comp.sys.mac.misc] Backdrop won't work for me...

elliott@veronica.cs.wisc.edu (James Elliott) (06/05/91)

I just downloaded backdrop from sumex in the hopes that it would
enable me to use a nice PICT image as my desktop image. With backdrop
in the System Folder along with a StartupScreen, the screen only shows
during startup, and then the normal desktop drawing overwrites it.

Now, I realize I'm in a rather bizarre environment: An SE/30 running
System 7.0 with an external color monitor set as the menu-bar and
startup device. One or more of these factors may be why it does not
work. If anyone has suggestions or pointers to alternative solutions,
I'd appreciate them.

--
Jim Elliott		      "Like a bridge he'll come between us, not a wall"
elliott@veronica.cs.wisc.edu

mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Michael J Kobb) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun4.214145.12583@spool.cs.wisc.edu> elliott@veronica.cs.wisc.edu (James Elliott) writes:
>I just downloaded backdrop from sumex in the hopes that it would
>enable me to use a nice PICT image as my desktop image. With backdrop
>in the System Folder along with a StartupScreen, the screen only shows
>during startup, and then the normal desktop drawing overwrites it.
>
>Now, I realize I'm in a rather bizarre environment: An SE/30 running
>System 7.0 with an external color monitor set as the menu-bar and
>startup device. One or more of these factors may be why it does not
>work. If anyone has suggestions or pointers to alternative solutions,
>I'd appreciate them.

I believe that when the SE/30 came out, it was determined that Backdrop didn't
work properly with it.  I also seem to remember Deskpicture having problems.

You might, however, try Deskpicture 2.0.3 (distributed with the NOW utilities
package).  Since you have a color monitor, it just might work.

You could also try Color Desk.  I haven't used it, so I don't know if it works
or no.

--Mike

nwc1@quads.uchicago.edu (Einstuerzende Neubauten) (06/06/91)

I am using an SE/30 with System 7.0, and I have found in my personal archives
a system extension called DeskPict which works fine. Don't know where I got
it, though. But that's what it's called. If need be, I can email it...

DeskPICT uses "Startup Screens" as the desktop picture, and requires that the
PICT have ID=0. GIF Converter 2.2d6 can do this. This is the only reason that
I have GifCon. Other programs do it also, such as VisionLab.

Good luck!

--
***                           The University of Chicago                     ***
*** Claimer: Beavers Are Gods.           Disclaimer: Believe What You Want. ***

ace@tidbits.UUCP (Adam C. Engst) (06/07/91)

DeskPicture works fine on my SE/30's monochrome monitor and its accompanying
13" color monitor. It's a good program, and one of the stronger ones
in the Now Utilities (though a tad frivilous, perhaps :-))

Adam Engst, TidBITS Editor

In article <1991Jun5.054838.10566@news.media.mit.edu>, mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Michael J Kobb) writes:

> I believe that when the SE/30 came out, it was determined that Backdrop didn't
> work properly with it.  I also seem to remember Deskpicture having problems.
>
> You might, however, try Deskpicture 2.0.3 (distributed with the NOW utilities
> package).  Since you have a color monitor, it just might work.
>
> You could also try Color Desk.  I haven't used it, so I don't know if it works
> or no.
>
> --Mike

Adam C. Engst    Editor of TidBITS, the weekly electronic Macintosh journal

ace@tidbits.uucp                         The best way to predict the future
pv9y@crnlvax5, pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu       is to invent it.   -Alan Kay