[comp.sys.mac.misc] Interactive Pointers?

krishna@fas.ri.cmu.edu (Krishna Pendyala) (06/07/91)

I have heard and seen a set-up where viewers could interact with a projected screen using a pointer.  The pointer basically replaces the mouse. Therefore, you can access the menus and use the computer while watching a presentation if interactivitity was built into the design.

Please send mail to krishna@cmu.edu, if you are aware of such a product, name, manufacturer and contact address or telephone #.  Thank you very much.

km2a+@andrew.cmu.edu (Kenneth E. Mohnkern) (06/07/91)

On 06-Jun-91 in Interactive Pointers?
user Krishna Pendyala@fas.ri. writes:
>I have heard and seen a set-up where viewers could interact with a
projected sc
>reen using a pointer.  The pointer basically replaces the mouse.
Therefore, you
> can access the menus and use the computer while watching a
presentation if int
>eractivitity was built into the design.

I was sent a brochure on this thing a while ago, but tossed it. It's an
LED overhead projection unit with a little attachment on it. The LED
unit projects the Mac screen on the wall, and the attachment senses the
motion of a laser pointer on the screen. It also senses when a little
button on the laser pointer is pressed. So, in effect, your laser
pointer is a mouse, moving around on a projected image of the Mac
screen. When you point at menu title and click the button, the menu
opens up. Just like a mouse.

It sounds really cool, if it lives up the claims in the brochure.

ken mohnkern # the graphics deli # the robotics institute # pittsburgh pa

km2a+@andrew.cmu.edu (Kenneth E. Mohnkern) (06/08/91)

Re: Projection system and pointer for simulating mouse activities on the Mac.

It's here in MacWeek, pages 34 - 35. It's called the Proxima LCD
projection system, and the Cyclops wand. The address is:
    Proxima
    6610 Nancy Ridge Drive
    San Diego, CA 92121-9639

    800-582-2580

ken mohnkern # the graphics deli # the robotics institute # pittsburgh pa