[comp.sys.mac.misc] Under the apple

richard@mee.tcd.ie (06/06/91)

One of the fx's in the lab that I look after has developed the most annoying
habit of needing the option key pressed before you can access any of the
D.A.'s under the apple.

I'm sure that it was done by a beloved student who likes giving us
challenges.

Any ideas would be more than welcome.

Richard Bolger                //
Trinity College Dublin       //       rbolger@vax1.tcd.ie
Republic of Ireland         //

ireland@ac.dal.ca (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun6.110545.1@mee.tcd.ie>, richard@mee.tcd.ie writes:
> One of the fx's in the lab that I look after has developed the most annoying
> habit of needing the option key pressed before you can access any of the
> D.A.'s under the apple.
>
> I'm sure that it was done by a beloved student who likes giving us
> challenges.
>
> Any ideas would be more than welcome.
>
> Richard Bolger                //
> Trinity College Dublin       //       rbolger@vax1.tcd.ie
> Republic of Ireland         //

This is a symptom of having a bad or missing copy of DA Handler in the
system folder.  Put a fresh copy of DA Handler in the system folder and
the problem should go away.  Launching a DA while holding down the option
key is the way to force a DA running under Multifinder to use the memory
allocated to the currently running application and bypasses the need for
DA Handler.

Keith Conover
ireland@ac.dal.ca

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (06/08/91)

In article <1991Jun6.110545.1@mee.tcd.ie> richard@mee.tcd.ie writes:
>One of the fx's in the lab that I look after has developed the most annoying
>habit of needing the option key pressed before you can access any of the
>D.A.'s under the apple.
>
>I'm sure that it was done by a beloved student who likes giving us
>challenges.

Copy the file "DA Handler" back into the System folder.  I assume you
hear a beep any time you try to get at a DA under MultiFinder.  That is
because DA Handler is missing.

By holding down the option key, you open the DA into the application
heap, thus bypassing the DA Handler.

Paul
--
| Paul E. Jacoby, 3M Company, 3M Center, 235-3F-27                   |
| Maplewood, MN   55144-1000     .-----------------------------------|

scasterg@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Stuart M Castergine) (06/08/91)

In article <1991Jun7.191201.7387@mmm.serc.3m.com> pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) writes:
>In article <1991Jun6.110545.1@mee.tcd.ie> richard@mee.tcd.ie writes:
>>One of the fx's in the lab that I look after has developed the most annoying
>>habit of needing the option key pressed before you can access any of the
>>D.A.'s under the apple.
>>
>>I'm sure that it was done by a beloved student who likes giving us
>>challenges.
>
>Copy the file "DA Handler" back into the System folder.  I assume you
>hear a beep any time you try to get at a DA under MultiFinder.  That is
>because DA Handler is missing.
>
>By holding down the option key, you open the DA into the application
>heap, thus bypassing the DA Handler.

Another possibility is that they are running Suitcase II, which has a
setting that requires you to hold down teh option key to get the full
DA list. Check under Settings in Suitcase, if this is the situation.

--
scasterg@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu	Stuart M Castergine
"Step by step they were led to practices which disposed to vice -- the