[comp.sys.mac.misc] Upgrading to Sys 7: Attention PowerDrive/NUM users

rajiv@ee.rochester.edu (Rajiv Arora) (06/05/91)

I have been itching to upgrade to System 7, but haven't done so because of 2
potential problems.

1) NUM: Apparently v1.0.1 of the Norton Utilities doesn't work and an upgrade
to v1.1 (not yet available) is reqd. What are you NUM users doing in the
interim?

2) Disk Driver: I have the PowerDrive 105 Quantum drive and "Disk Manager Mac"
v2.23 software. According to a recently posted list, I need at least v2.24
(current version 2.25) to run 7.0. However, I am not sure whether I'm OK with
the version I have because I need neither VM nor 32-bit addressing--I have a
4MB Plus. Can any other PowerDrive owners shed some more light on the matter?
OnTrack Software, who distribute Disk Manager Mac, wanted $25 for an upgrade to
v2.25 even though the MacWeek list indicated it to be a free upgrade.

Finally, I believe it is possible to have Sytem 6.0.x and System 7.0 installed
on different partitons of one's HD, thereby allowing one to choose which
version to startup with. I have hard partitions on my HD: how do I go about
implementing this dual-system scenario?

I'm sure some of these questions have been addressed before and I apologize for
the repetition. I haven't had the time to stay current with the comp.sys.mac.*
newsgroups and our site expires articles before I get around to them. Please
email me to save net bandwidth.

-Rajiv Arora
--
Addresses:
	UUCP:   ...!rochester!ur-valhalla!rajiv

bcarter@claven.idbsu.edu (Bruce Carter) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun4.201828.10112@ee.rochester.edu> rajiv@ee.rochester.edu
(Rajiv Arora) writes:

>2) Disk Driver: I have the PowerDrive 105 Quantum drive and "Disk Manager Mac"
>v2.23 software. According to a recently posted list, I need at least v2.24
>(current version 2.25) to run 7.0. However, I am not sure whether I'm OK with
>the version I have because I need neither VM nor 32-bit addressing--I have a
>4MB Plus. Can any other PowerDrive owners shed some more light on the matter?
>OnTrack Software, who distribute Disk Manager Mac, wanted $25 for an upgrade
>v2.25 even though the MacWeek list indicated it to be a free upgrade.

Contact Hard Drives International to get the free update to Disk Manager Mac.
You may also be interested to know that with a little ResEdit hacking, Apple HD
SC setup will format PowerDrives (or at least the 80M Seagate-based ones).  I
prefer the Apple drivers since I don't partition the drive, and the DMM drivers
seem always to be tweaking the drive making the drive active light flash at me.

>Finally, I believe it is possible to have Sytem 6.0.x and System 7.0 installed
>on different partitons of one's HD, thereby allowing one to choose which
>version to startup with. I have hard partitions on my HD: how do I go about
>implementing this dual-system scenario?

I haven't done this, but apparently all you have to do is install System 7 on
one partition, install System 6 on another, and use the Startup Disk control
panel to set which one you want to use.  Some people have also said that you
need a "blessing" utility, but I believe that is only if both systems are on
one partition or if you have soft partitioning.

Also, in System 6, you'll see the Desktop and Trash folders that System 7 uses
invisibly.  I would suggest not messing with these.

Take this last part with a grain of salt as I personally have NOT done this.
One of the professors here who has says that System 7 insists on rebuilding the
desktop every time you use it after having used System 6.  I don't know if
there are any other consequences.

Bruce Carter                                 Internet: bcarter@claven.idbsu.edu
Courseware Development Coordinator                     duscarte@idbsu.idbsu.edu
Boise State University                    Bitnet/CREN: duscarte@idbsu

ralph@cbnewsj.att.com (Ralph Brandi) (06/08/91)

In article <1991Jun5.154809.29773@guinness.idbsu.edu> bcarter@claven.idbsu.edu (Bruce Carter) writes:
>In article <1991Jun4.201828.10112@ee.rochester.edu> rajiv@ee.rochester.edu
>(Rajiv Arora) writes:

>>Finally, I believe it is possible to have Sytem 6.0.x and System 7.0 installed
>>on different partitons of one's HD, thereby allowing one to choose which
>>version to startup with. I have hard partitions on my HD: how do I go about
>>implementing this dual-system scenario?

>I haven't done this, but apparently all you have to do is install System 7 on
>one partition, install System 6 on another, and use the Startup Disk control
>panel to set which one you want to use.  Some people have also said that you

Wrong.  Startup Disk does not tell which hard partition on a drive
to start up from, only which *physical* disk, at least on the IIci I
have at work.  It also doesn't work on a Plus, which is what Rajiv
mentioned he has.

The proper procedure is to install 6.0.x on one partition, 7.0 on
another, and then rename the partitions based on which system you
want to boot up with.  I have been doing this for months, and it
works.  The drive boots up from whichever partition is first in
alphabetical order.

>One of the professors here who has says that System 7 insists on rebuilding the
>desktop every time you use it after having used System 6.  I don't know if
>there are any other consequences.

This is true.  The problem can be avoided if you use the Desktop
Manager INIT under 6.0.x.  DM is available on ftp.apple.com in
dts/hacks/oscar.hqx or thereabouts.
--
Ralph Brandi     ralph@mtunq.att.com     att!mtunq!ralph

R.I.P. Radio Canada International   1942-1991