[comp.sys.mac.misc] System 7.0/Finder Sounds?

brian@cirrus.com (Brian Feinberg) (06/06/91)

I just tried putting Finder Sounds in my System 7 System Folder,
but I still have a silent Finder. Is there an equivalent for System 7,
or does the new Finder not have the sound hooks?

I want my noisy Finder back!

Brian Feinberg <brian@cirrus.COM>
UUCP:  oliveb!cirrusl!brian
CIS:   73617,2470

billc@apple.com (Bill Cockayne) (06/07/91)

At the moment there is nothing that replaces our beloved Finder Sounds. I
have been checking around with some people and it doesn't look like Finder
Sounds itself is going to be updated. Anyone want to take a shot at it?

Bill Cockayne
billc@applecom
I disclaim everything.

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun5.172041.19676@cirrus.com> brian@cirrus.com (Brian Feinberg) writes:

>I just tried putting Finder Sounds in my System 7 System Folder,
>but I still have a silent Finder. Is there an equivalent for System 7,
>or does the new Finder not have the sound hooks?
>
>I want my noisy Finder back!
>

>--
>Brian Feinberg <brian@cirrus.COM>
>UUCP:  oliveb!cirrusl!brian
>CIS:   73617,2470

I was told that the new finder doesn't have these hooks, but I proved
that wrong by trying SND Control 1.1 which works.  I'd prefer
Soudnmaster, which does a lot more, but it doesn't work with 7.0 (at
least not v1.64).  Besides, I guess I can use the RAM for more useful
purposes ;-)

jas
Jeffrey A. Sullivan		| Senior Systems Programmer
jas@venera.isi.edu		| Information Sciences Institute
jas@isi.edu                    	| University of Southern California

gourdol@imag.imag.fr (Gourdol Arnaud) (06/08/91)

In article <18188@venera.isi.edu> jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) writes:
>I was told that the new finder doesn't have these hooks, but I proved
>that wrong by trying SND Control 1.1 which works.  I'd prefer
>Soudnmaster, which does a lot more, but it doesn't work with 7.0 (at
>least not v1.64).  Besides, I guess I can use the RAM for more useful
>purposes ;-)

Probably because I'm French and thus (:-) Cartesian,
I am puzzled with this use of "proved". What did you prove,
and how? I do not know SND Control, but I know SoundMaster
and I suspect that you are mixing two different things here.
SoundMaster does an awful lot of patches to insert sounds
at various events (when a disk is inserted or ejected, and
son on), besides it uses the Finder hooks of Sonic Finder
so that the Finder can use sounds for some actions (I
finished copyying a file, I am clicking on a big document
icon...). I do no think (but can't prove it) that the
hooks are in Finder 7.0. The Finder 7.0 has been
entirely re-written and the guy who did the hooks
for Sonic Finder is no more at Apple.
So what you can do is add sound to standard events
not involving the Finder. But for the rest...

Apple, *please* put the hooks back.

Arno.

--
    /=============================//===================================/
   / Arno Gourdol.               // On the Netland:  Gourdol@imag.fr  /

smith@coral.bucknell.edu (Greg Smith) (06/10/91)

In article <53708@apple.Apple.COM>, billc@apple.com (Bill Cockayne) writes:
> At the moment there is nothing that replaces our beloved Finder Sounds. I
> have been checking around with some people and it doesn't look like Finder
> Sounds itself is going to be updated. Anyone want to take a shot at it?

I assume that Bill is talking about the original Apple version of Finder
Sounds.  The FreeWare version that I wrote for the rest of the world is also
quite silent under 7.0 since Apple removed the sound hooks from the Finder
during the 7.0 rewrite.  Now that my copy of Inside Macintosh Volume VI has
finally come in, I'll be trying very hard to reincarnate Finder Sounds under
7.0 using a different method from the now defunct sound hooks.  I, too, wish
Apple would return the sound hooks that were present in Finder 6.1.4 through
6.1.7 (and 6.1.8?).  In the meantime, I've got a couple of ideas to explore.
I'll post more information on my progress when I've played around with the guts
of 7.0 some more.

Greg Smith
Author of FreeWare Finder Sounds

Greg Smith, Systems Analyst                       Computer Services
Internet: smith@bucknell.edu                      Bucknell University
Bitnet:   smith@bknlvms.bitnet                    Lewisburg, PA  17837
AT&Tnet:  (717) 524-1801                          USA