[comp.sys.mac.misc] DeskWriter 2.1 driver and Vm

dcmyers@astro.umd.edu (David Myers) (06/11/91)

Anyone encountered problems with the DeskWriter 2.1 driver
(the newest) and Sys 7 virtual memory? When printing from
most applications, especially Word and sometimes PageMaker
4, the printer just stops after a while, saying something
like "DTR buffer overflow". Usually happens after 1/3 of
a page or so. Once VM is off, things work fine.

System: SE/30 5M 40M internal
SyQuest cartridge drive
non-AppleTalk Deskwriter
8 megs virtual memory

-dave.

6500wong@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Ki Ching Wong) (06/11/91)

In article <8696@umd5.umd.edu> dcmyers@astro.umd.edu (David Myers) writes:

>Anyone encountered problems with the DeskWriter 2.1 driver
>(the newest) and Sys 7 virtual memory? When printing from
>most applications, especially Word and sometimes PageMaker
>4, the printer just stops after a while, saying something
>like "DTR buffer overflow". Usually happens after 1/3 of
>a page or so. Once VM is off, things work fine.

>System: SE/30 5M 40M internal
>SyQuest cartridge drive
>non-AppleTalk Deskwriter
>8 megs virtual memory

>-dave.

Yup!  The driver won't work with VM on.  The HP people say
they are working on it, but they seem to be not quite sure
if the problem is with System 7 or the driver.  So, an
upgrade/fix is uncertain.
However, it seems to work fine if you turn BOTH VM and 32-bit
addressing ON.  I haven't done extensive testing on that but
I've printed something with no trouble at all.
Good luck!

-Ki Wong
6500wong@ucsbuxa.