[comp.sys.mac.misc] Details on Outbound

philipc@runx.oz.au (Philip Craig) (06/01/91)

Dear netters,

 I have recently become the proud owner of an Outbound computer system, which
 used to be called a Wallaby. This is the company that Apple bought out and
 licensed the Macintosh ROMs to. I am interested in getting in contact with
 the company but I donUt have an e-mail address for them. If anyone could tell
 me one I'd be grateful.

  I'm also interested in corresponding with anyone else who owns one of these
  beasties to share experiences, etc. I can run both System 6.0.7 and System 7.0
  on mine, but File Sharing doesn't work (both as a server or as a workstation)
  under System 7.0. Being an AppleShare workstation is just fine under System
  6.0.7. If anyone knows of any fixes or updates past version 1.1 of the Outbound
  software I'd love some details.

	Thanks in advance,

--
| Philip Craig          | ACSnet,Ean,CSnet: philipc@runxtsa.runx.oz.au         |
| RUNX Unix Timeshare   | Arpa:  philipc%runxtsa.runx.oz.au@UUNET.UU.NET       |

cjp310@coombs.anu.edu.au (Chris @ SSDA ...) (06/03/91)

philipc@runx.oz.au (Philip Craig) writes:

>Dear netters,
>
> I have recently become the proud owner of an Outbound computer system, which
> used to be called a Wallaby. This is the company that Apple bought out and
> licensed the Macintosh ROMs to. I am interested in getting in contact with
> the company but I donUt have an e-mail address for them. If anyone could tell
> me one I'd be grateful.
>
>  I'm also interested in corresponding with anyone else who owns one of these
>  beasties to share experiences, etc. I can run both System 6.0.7 and System 7.0
>  on mine, but File Sharing doesn't work (both as a server or as a workstation)
>  under System 7.0. Being an AppleShare workstation is just fine under System
>  6.0.7. If anyone knows of any fixes or updates past version 1.1 of the Outbound
>  software I'd love some details.

Phillip,
	This sounds fascinating hows about posting a collection of responses
you get to the net...  Also could you let us know the details about your
Outbound - a <mac clone> ???

Thanks in advance

Chris

                  Chris Patterson | Ph:  +61 6 2492185
     Social Science Data Archives | AARNet: Chris@coombs.anu.edu.au
   Australian National University | "I wonder what happens if I ..."

philipc@runx.oz.au (Philip Craig) (06/05/91)

In article <cjp310.675930063@coombs> cjp310@coombs.anu.edu.au (Chris @ SSDA ...) writes:

>Phillip,
>	This sounds fascinating hows about posting a collection of responses
>you get to the net...  Also could you let us know the details about your
>Outbound - a <mac clone> ???
The only response I've got so far is that Allaw technologies are handling
the Outbound in Sydney, Australia.

The Outbound is nice: 4kg with abuilt in 20mb HD, up to 4MB system RAM and
up to 16mb RAM disk. You need SE or MacPlus ROMs to run in one, but Apple
license these to Outbound these days so that should be no problem. In
the old days the Outbound was sold a as a dockable computer, which meant
that you could run it docked to your SE or Plus and the outbound would
have access to any peripherals, etc. that the Host had access to.

The processor is a 16MHz 68000 (like the Apple Portable) and the screen
is a double super-twist LCD. IT runs on CamCorder batteries, which go
for about two hours. They recharge in five to eight hours. The screen
is 640 by 400 pixels, which is nice. It has an infra-red keyboard
which is good fun. The keyboard can also be directly attached or you
can use a cable, if you prefer. I use it in infra-red only myself. In short
the outbound is pretty much like a portable but smaller (will fit in normal
size briefcase (the floppy is external) and lighter and cheaper.
--

rmitchel@bbn.com (Rob Mitchell) (06/11/91)

cjp310@coombs.anu.edu.au (Chris @ SSDA ...) writes:
>philipc@runx.oz.au (Philip Craig) writes:
>> I have recently become the proud owner of an Outbound computer system, which
>    This sounds fascinating hows about posting a collection of responses

Hello,

    My company (BBN Inc) has purchased two Outbound Systems (so far).
    An Outbound has a 68000 CPU running at ~16Mhz with a Mac SE ROM
    chips (I forgot the exact rev).

    If anyone would like more info, send some email and I'll post.

francis@zaphod.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (06/11/91)

In article <676362087.23@egsgate.FidoNet.Org> Philip.Craig@f98.n250.z1.FidoNet.Org (Philip Craig) writes:

>can use a cable, if you prefer. I use it in infra-red only myself. In short
>the outbound is pretty much like a portable but smaller (will fit in normal
>size briefcase (the floppy is external) and lighter and cheaper.

I saw one at a local store, and I can add that the other difference is
that the Outbound's screen is much slower.

--
| Francis Stracke	       | My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|