[comp.sys.mac.misc] importing VMS PSfiles

emansell@molbio.med.miami.edu (Eric Mansell) (06/11/91)

I'm looking for a way to import a postscript file generated
on a mainframe (VAX/VMS) and send it directly to an AppleTalk LaserWriter.
At present, I have to port the output of the process from the mainframe
to my terminal, but the resolution is so lousy (using the Tektronix
graphics interface) that the plot is barely decipherable.  Using
NCSA telnet, I can then use 'Print Selection...' but it looks
even worse when it comes out on the printer.

All of my IBM :-P buddies here just write the VMS output to a laser.ps
file, send it off to the printer, and the plot looks great.
Is there a utility out there somewhere (preferably SW or free) that
would allow me to do something similar?  I've tried writing the
VMS output to a laser.ps file, ftp-ing it to my mac
and then using a couple of utilities I've dug up that I thought
would allow me to send the VMS postscript file to the printer.
However, I can't get the plot to print. Is there a problem with
the Mac reading the ftp'd VMS file (even though it's supposedly
postscript)?

Would be most appreciative of any feedback (e-mail) as I have a
feeling that I actually know less about what I'm asking than I
think I do.

Help.
--
Eric A. Mansell
Graduate Student                      e-mail: emansell@molbio.med.miami.edu

price@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu (John Price) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun11.132056.29395@news.miami.edu>, emansell@molbio.med.miami.edu (Eric Mansell) writes:
>I'm looking for a way to import a postscript file generated
>on a mainframe (VAX/VMS) and send it directly to an AppleTalk LaserWriter.

I have just the opposite problem: I want to take a PostScript file from the
Mac and send it to a DEC LN03S.  Has anyone solved this?

As an aside: why do Apple machines speak different PostScript than everyone
else in the world?

           John Price * * * * price@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu
           Where there is no solution, there is no problem.