[comp.sys.mac.misc] Macdraw Problem with HP LJIIID

nakamoto@joplin.mpr.ca (Alan Nakamoto) (06/12/91)

I was curious to see if anyone else is experiencing this problem and
whether a solution is out there.

Currently, we are using a HP Laserjet IIID with HP's postscript cartridge,
HP's Appletalk Interface and 5 Mbs of RAm on a mixed localtalk network
consisting of mostly Mac SE's and the printer is served by a Mac running
Apple's print server software.

The printer has performed well with every program that we have except
Macdraw II vers 1.1B. WHen a file is sent to the laserjet it essentially
hangs up. The printer continually displays "Processing Data" on the
front panel and will remain that way until the offending file being sent
to it gets removed from the queue and the printer reset. The strange
thing is that nothing like this occurs under the same situation for MS
Word, Excel, Filemaker II, Quickmail, or superpaint.

Software-wise, all macs are running system 6.0.5 and using laser prep
version 6.0 with laserjet IIID chooser document version 1.1.

Any thoughts welcome,

Thanks,

Alan Nakamoto
Pacific Microelectronics Centre
(604)-293-6052

email : nakamoto@eric.mpr.ca
OR      uunet!ubc-cs!mpre!nakamoto

scasterg@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Stuart M Castergine) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun12.005757.4385@mprgate.mpr.ca> nakamoto@joplin.mpr.ca (Alan Nakamoto) writes:

>I was curious to see if anyone else is experiencing this problem and
>whether a solution is out there.
>
>Currently, we are using a HP Laserjet IIID with HP's postscript cartridge,
>HP's Appletalk Interface and 5 Mbs of RAm on a mixed localtalk network
>consisting of mostly Mac SE's and the printer is served by a Mac running
>Apple's print server software.
>
>The printer has performed well with every program that we have except
>Macdraw II vers 1.1B. WHen a file is sent to the laserjet it essentially
>hangs up. The printer continually displays "Processing Data" on the
>front panel and will remain that way until the offending file being sent
>to it gets removed from the queue and the printer reset. The strange
>thing is that nothing like this occurs under the same situation for MS
>Word, Excel, Filemaker II, Quickmail, or superpaint.
>
>Software-wise, all macs are running system 6.0.5 and using laser prep
>version 6.0 with laserjet IIID chooser document version 1.1.
>
>Any thoughts welcome,

I'm surprised I have seen this question more often.

MacDraw II, one of the archetypal Mac Programs, the grandpa of all
later and snazzier drawing programs, does not work reliably with any
LaserWriter driver later than 5.2

This is an _old_ bug. It has been around every since LaserWriter 6.0
was released, which is what -- two, three years?

You'd think that having such a close working relationship with Apple,
Claris would have had the ability to fix this bug, that they would
have released a bug fix.

No, instead they make us wait for MacDraw Pro, which _still_ is not
out.

Canvas can print MacDraw II documents just fine. It is embarrassing
that MacDraw II can't.

Since I work for a newspaper, and most Associated Press Graphics
arrive in MacDraw format, this has been a real problem for us. We have
other applications (color RIPS and the like) that don't even support
LaserWriter 5.2.

--
scasterg@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu	Stuart M Castergine
"Step by step they were led to practices which disposed to vice -- the

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Don Gillies) (06/13/91)

I don't think the problem is that "MacDraw II does not work reliably
with any laserwriter driver beyond 5.2".  I have used MacDraw II for a
long time with the 6.0.1 laserwriter drivers.  I have never
experienced problems.

I believe the problem could be this.  In many cases MacDraw II
generates raw postscript.  When it gets ready to print, it notices a
laserwriter is attached, and bypasses some of the translation done by
the lasewriter driver.  Since it is printing using its own postscript
primitives -- not the primitives used by the standard laserwriter
translator.

When MacDraw II emits these primitives, it is possible that your
postscript interpreter will break.  Under normal circumstances the
interpreter never sees these primitives.  MacDraw II used to break our
interpreter on some pages, until we upgraded our printers to a better
postscript interpreter.  The problem is probably coming from your
postscript cartridge.

Don Gillies - gillies@cs.uiuc.edu - University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign