[comp.sys.mac.misc] How does Adobe do it??

raymond@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz (R P Wilson ) (06/08/91)

I was playing with roman, italic, bold and bold-italic versions of fonts using
True Type and noticed that although I had had the symbol true type font
it produced smooth fonts for italics and bold etc.  How doe sit do this
when TT also has separate fonts for the times family??

Just an idle thought.

Raymond.

--
Raymond Wilson.	email:	raymond@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
		snail:	c/- Computer Science Department,

rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun8.122230.991@csc.canterbury.ac.nz>
raymond@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz (R P Wilson ) writes:
> I was playing with roman, italic, bold and bold-italic versions of fonts
using
> True Type and noticed that although I had had the symbol true type font
> it produced smooth fonts for italics and bold etc.  How doe sit do this
> when TT also has separate fonts for the times family??

TrueType can produce boldface and italics from a plain TT font by
thickening or slanting the outlines. That's what it's doing with the
Symbol font. But this kind of automatically-generated variation generally
doesn't look as nice as a specially-designed boldface or italic. So, many
fonts are actually font "families", collections of (typically) four fonts
which are the plain (aka "Roman"), bold, italic, and bold-italic versions
of the basic design.

BTW, TrueType is Apple's own outline font technology; Adobe has nothing to
do with it. But Adobe's own PostScript fonts work the same way: the normal
font can be munged into a bold or italic version at need, but the best
results come from font families which include distinct, well-designed
variations as separate fonts.

Rick Holzgrafe              |    {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!rmh
Software Engineer           | AppleLink HOLZGRAFE1          rmh@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.        |  "All opinions expressed are mine, and do
20525 Mariani Ave. MS: 3-PK |    not necessarily represent those of my
Cupertino, CA 95014         |        employer, Apple Computer Inc."

n67786@cc.tut.fi (Tero Nieminen) (06/13/91)

In article <14007@goofy.Apple.COM> rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) writes:

   TrueType can produce boldface and italics from a plain TT font by
   thickening or slanting the outlines. That's what it's doing with the
   Symbol font. But this kind of automatically-generated variation generally
   doesn't look as nice as a specially-designed boldface or italic. So, many

Actually the italic face is a completely different from the roman face
and it cannot be produced by simple calculations. The face produced this
way is slanted, not italics and they should not be mixed up. They are
separate styles in typesetting no matter what TrueType (or anything else
for that matter) does.
--
   Tero Nieminen                    Tampere University of Technology
   n67786@cc.tut.fi                 Tampere, Finland, Europe