[comp.sys.mac.misc] background printing to ImageWriter ???

wcaw@juliet.caltech.edu (Wilisch, Wolf C. A.) (06/11/91)

Does anyone know about an application or utility (apart from
AppleTalk) that would allow me to have my ImageWriter print
in the background (SE/4MB/6.0.4) ?
Thanks in advance

Chris Wilisch

wcaw@juliet.caltech.edu

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun10.173012.14615@nntp-server.caltech.edu>, wcaw@juliet.caltech.edu (Wilisch, Wolf C. A.) writes...

>Does anyone know about an application or utility (apart from
>AppleTalk) that would allow me to have my ImageWriter print
>in the background (SE/4MB/6.0.4) ?

 Appletalk wouldn't help. Until Apple (poke!) finally gets it together with
 their "new printing architecture", Imagewriter spooling is limited to third
 party and *ware alternatives. Third party solutions:

 For serial:	Superspool
 For Appletalk:	Superlaserspool

 Both are from Fifth Generation Systems.

 *ware solutions:

 Multispool:	INIT/DA? Never used it.
 Print Aid:	This is not a spooler, but allows you to shove the offending
 		printing application into the background.

 There may be other possibilities I haven't mentioned. Hope it helps,

Richard C. Long | long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com            | Selfware: If you like
--------------- | ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long | this program, send
A First Edition | long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com | yourself five bucks!

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (06/13/91)

wcaw@juliet.caltech.edu (Wilisch, Wolf C. A.) writes:

>Does anyone know about an application or utility (apart from
>AppleTalk) that would allow me to have my ImageWriter print
>in the background (SE/4MB/6.0.4) ?

The SuperSpool people have such an animal that I used once
upon a time.  Unfortunately, I found that the cpu power to
drive the spooler (which is what prints in the background),
didn't leave anything left to do some useful application
work.  Therefore, there was no point in using a spooler if
I had to wait for the printing to get done anyway.

It is a good idea but needs more horsepower to accomplish
than a SE has.
--
= Enjoy!                                                                   =
=          John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group       =

jonesw@motcid.UUCP (Wesley S. Jones) (06/13/91)

Does anyone know how to print in the background (again while using an Image-
Writer) when using System 7.0?  I have used PrintSpool from sometime but it does
not work with System 7.0 :-(
--
%%  Wesley Stuart Jones   motcid\!whitefish\!jonesw@uunet.uu.net  %%