[comp.sys.mac.misc] Weird problem with sound files in Sys 7

stanger@otago.ac.nz (Nigel Stanger) (06/13/91)

I like the way that you can double-click on sounds in System 7 to
play them, and I have just finished converting my sound
collection from ResEdit files to System 7 sound files. However,
two of my sounds refuse to play when I double-click them. They
are both under 30K in size, but when I double-click them, I get
the message "Sorry, not enough memory" (or words to that effect).
It only does it for these two files. The rest converted fine
(except I had to do a bit of twiddling with the sampling rates on
a lot of them).

So, what gives? I can open and play the sounds fine in ResEdit,
but if I'd wanted to do that, I would have left them as resource
files. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks in advance.

--
See ya
                                Nigel.

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun13.174306.537@otago.ac.nz> stanger@otago.ac.nz (Nigel Stanger) writes:
>I like the way that you can double-click on sounds in System 7 to
>play them, and I have just finished converting my sound
>collection from ResEdit files to System 7 sound files. However,
>two of my sounds refuse to play when I double-click them. They
>are both under 30K in size, but when I double-click them, I get
>the message "Sorry, not enough memory" (or words to that effect).

Nigel,
  I posed a similar question in comp.sys.mac.programmer, and Dave Platt
  gave me the answer.  The System 7.0 SoundManager is more sensitive to
  corrupted or otherwise improper sound headers.  The 6.0.x SoundManager
  was more forgiving, and thus could play many sounds that had header
  info that was slightly out of whack.

  To solve problems with sounds, you may be able to run them through any
  sound editing program, saving the sounds to a NEW file.  If the sound
  editing software is any good :-) it should write a proper header for
  the sounds, allowing System 7.0 to be happy with them.

  I did this using the SoundMover 1.71 application from Ricardo Ettore.
  I have ~2.2 meg of Finder sounds, and roughly half would not play
  under 7.0.  After copying them all to new sound suitcases ('sfil's),
  they all play fine.

  Paul

  claimer: The SoundManager 1.71 package from Ricardo Ettore is WELL
  worth the $25 shareware fee.  Look for my name in the docs :-)
--
| Paul E. Jacoby, 3M Company, 3M Center, 235-3F-27                   |