[comp.sys.mac.misc] Hebrew on the Macintosh, an update.

gsm@mendelson.com (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) (06/12/91)

About a month ago I posted a request for information about Hebrew word
processors for the Macintosh. The response was quite overwhelming.

I would like to thank everyone who replied. I will be sending out personal
"thank you"s soon.

I am almost ready to post a summary, but I lack the following:

     1. A U.S. address for a distributor of "Rav-K'tav", if there is one.

     2. Information on the Hebrew Version of Nissus.

     3. Any information on Wintext.

Thanks again.

Highlights of my summary:

1. There is a Hebrew version of the Macintosh System complete with Hebrew
   fonts, right to left and left to right typing etc.

2. Word processors in Hebrew.

3. "Cheap" keyboards.

and lots of other useful stuff :-)

--
Copyright (C) 1991, Geoffrey S. Mendelson.              All Rights Reserved.
Except for usenet followups, may not be reproduced without permsission.

chrism@cirrus.com (Christopher Metcalfe) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun11.223438.14939@mendelson.com> gsm@mendelson.com (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) writes:
>About a month ago I posted a request for information about Hebrew word
>processors for the Macintosh. The response was quite overwhelming.
>

>I am almost ready to post a summary, but I lack the following:
>

>     1. A U.S. address for a distributor of "Rav-K'tav", if there is one.
>
>     2. Information on the Hebrew Version of Nissus.
>
>     3. Any information on Wintext.

Davka Corporation in Chicago is the distributer of Rav-K'tav, Hebrew NISUS, Hebrew Wintext, and
several other Hebrew word-processing packages.

I've checked with several sources in the US and Israel, and they concure that Hebrew NISUS is
the most feature-laden Hebrew Word Processor.  I followed up with Davka and found out that the
current release does not support vowel-pointing.  This is a serious ommission in a $495
tool.  Another release is due at the end of the year, but no promises could be made on the
inclusion of vowel pointing.

Davka offers a catalog full of type-1 Hebrew PostScript fonts that are very beautiful.

The also offer the HebrewDAvka desk accessory.  This little window allows you to type
in up to five lines of Hebrew, and then cut-and-paste it into your favorite word processor.
It works with all of their fonts.  Again, there is no support for vowel pointing, but at
$69 it offers almost the same functionality as the NISUS package (leveraging the investment
in your current word processor).  I use it with MS-Word and it works fine.

-- Chris Metcalfe

jon@weber.ucsd.edu (Jon Matousek) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun12.200701.7315@cirrus.com> chrism@ss186 (Christopher Metcalfe) writes:
>In article <1991Jun11.223438.14939@mendelson.com> gsm@mendelson.com (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) writes:
>>About a month ago I posted a request for information about Hebrew word
>
>Davka Corporation in Chicago is the distributer of Rav-K'tav,
>Hebrew NISUS, Hebrew Wintext, and several other Hebrew word-processing
>packages.  I've checked with several sources in the US and Israel, and
>they concure that Hebrew NISUS is the most feature-laden Hebrew Word Processor.
>I followed up with Davka and found out that the current release does not
>support vowel-pointing.  This is a serious ommission in a $495 tool.
>Another release is due at the end of the year, but no promises could be
>made on the inclusion of vowel pointing.

I just spoke to Mark Hurvitz in Paragon's Tech support and he has
informed me that Hebrew Nisus does support vowel pointing. If you have any
questions please call Mark Hurvitz at Paragon, tele: 1-800-922-2993.

-jOn

%%
SoftwareEngineer: jOn mAtOUsEk;      Internet:  jon@weber.ucsd.edu
%%                                   Bitnet:    jmatousek@ucsd
Paragon Concepts, Inc.               AppleLink: D0405
990 Highland Drive, #312
Solana Beach, Ca. 92075              Voice:     (619)481-1477
USA                                  FAX:       (619)481-6154