[comp.sys.mac.misc] FTP for MacTCP?

ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) (06/10/91)

I asked a while ago about this, but only got a few confused replies.
I have a stock Mac II machine with Ethertalk card, and MacTCP 1.0.1.
I am currently using NCSA Telnet 2.2-TCP for communications, but there
_still_ is no FTP.  By FTP, I mean I want to initiate an FTP session
from the Mac to a remote host for file transfer.  I do *not* want to
telnet to that host and start a reverse-FTP session like with the non-TCP
Telnet and 2.3 Telnet.  Telnet and FTP exist as two different programs for
the MSDOS machines, doesn't it exist for the Macintosh?  Where?

Eric
--
Eric Sheppard      Georgia Tech    |   "Of course the US Constitution isn't
Atlanta, GA                        | perfect; but it's a lot better than what

erdwing@sol.biostat.med.umich.edu (Erdwing Coronado) (06/12/91)

In article <30989@hydra.gatech.EDU>, ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) writes:

> I asked a while ago about this, but only got a few confused replies.
> I have a stock Mac II machine with Ethertalk card, and MacTCP 1.0.1.
> I am currently using NCSA Telnet 2.2-TCP for communications, but there
> _still_ is no FTP.  By FTP, I mean I want to initiate an FTP session
> from the Mac to a remote host for file transfer.  I do *not* want to
> telnet to that host and start a reverse-FTP session like with the non-TCP
> Telnet and 2.3 Telnet.  Telnet and FTP exist as two different programs for
> the MSDOS machines, doesn't it exist for the Macintosh?  Where?
>
> Eric
> --
> Eric Sheppard      Georgia Tech    |   "Of course the US Constitution isn't
> Atlanta, GA                        | perfect; but it's a lot better than what
> ARPA: ce1zzes@prism.gatech.edu     |             we have now." -Unknown
> uucp: ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!ce1zzes

I have used XferIt with good results. It is available from anon ftp
at msdos.archive.umich.edu and/or mondo.engin.umich.edu.
It has some annoying features (redraws its windows every few
minutes, etc) but its graphical interface is intuitive.
It runs over MacTCP. (I normally run NCSA Telnet 2.3 with 3-4
Unix sessions open, POPMail, XferIt, NewsWatcher and MacX at
the same time in a Mac IIci with little hassle).
Oh, XferIt and NewsWatcher are shareware.
Erdwing

chooper@cc.curtin.edu.au (Todd Hooper) (06/14/91)

In article <.0A-CCD@engin.umich.edu>, erdwing@sol.biostat.med.umich.edu (Erdwing Coronado) writes:

> I have used XferIt with good results. It is available from anon ftp
> at msdos.archive.umich.edu and/or mondo.engin.umich.edu.

Definitely get the version from mondo.engin.umich.edu...the version at info-mac
is still fairly out of date and is nowhere near as nice.

For the record, the version I've got from mondo is XferIt 1.4b2 which is the
latest and greatest as far as I know.

> It runs over MacTCP. (I normally run NCSA Telnet 2.3 with 3-4
> Unix sessions open, POPMail, XferIt, NewsWatcher and MacX at
> the same time in a Mac IIci with little hassle).
> Oh, XferIt and NewsWatcher are shareware.

I've never heard of NewsWatcher. Where can I get it from?

Todd