[comp.sys.mac.misc] X Windows and Macintosh

cheshire@neon.Stanford.EDU (Stuart David Cheshire) (05/27/91)

I recently read about a program which lets a UNIX machine or other X terminal
connect to a Mac and display the Mac's screen in an X window. I imagine it is
sort of like Timbuktu but using X protocols instead. Unfortunately I did not
make a note of the company's telephone number at the time and now I can't find
the article again. I have searched through the magazines for hours and I just
cannot find it. Can anybody help? Have you heard of this product? Can you tell
me which magazine I saw it in, or do you know the company or the 'phone number?

Thanks, please e-mail responses to cheshire@cs.stanford.edu

Stuart Cheshire

jkovacs@qualix.com (Jean Kovacs) (06/13/91)

In <1991May27.091921.20853@neon.Stanford.EDU>, Stuart David Cheshire wrote
>I recently read about a program which lets a UNIX machine or other X terminal
>connect to a Mac and display the Mac's screen in an X window. I imagine it is
>cannot find it. Can anybody help? Have you heard of this product? Can you tell
>me which magazine I saw it in, or do you know the company or the 'phone number?

We sell and support a product that enables Mac windows to display
on an X-based workstation. It is called Xport and works by turning
the Apple Macintosh into an X-window system client. (Xport was
recently mentioned in one of the Mac magazines -- perhaps that's
where you saw it.)

Here is a quick list of features:

  --Allows any X server workstation user to execute
    Macintosh applications

  --Lets users cut and paste between X and Macintosh
    applications

  --Supports MOTIF, DEC Windows, and OpenLook window
    managers

This product is shipping and has been fully tested. To run,
you need a Mac with TCP/IP and an ethernet card. Price is $495.

For more information, send mail to xport@qualix.com or
call 1-800-245-UNIX (415-572-0200).

Jean Kovacs
Qualix Group, Inc.

kdb@intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun12.172129.13400@qualix.com>, jkovacs@qualix.com (Jean
Kovacs) writes:
> We sell and support a product that enables Mac windows to display
> on an X-based workstation. It is called Xport and works by turning
> the Apple Macintosh into an X-window system client. (Xport was
> recently mentioned in one of the Mac magazines -- perhaps that's
> where you saw it.)

InterCon will be selling a similar product at Boston MacWorld.  But with an
expanded feature set.  And most likely at a slightly lower cost :-)

It does not take total control of the Mac, the Mac user can also use the mouse.
This makes it easier to do training, and tech support long distance.

You can have your Mac in color mode.  Translates the color into grey scale.
More about color later.

For more information give us a call or drop us a note.

Kurt Baumann                  703.709.9890
InterCon Systems Corp.   Creators of fine TCP/IP products for
                                       the Macintosh