[comp.sys.mac.misc] Epson LX80 <--> Mac LC

HAMBRECHT@rcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Jochen Hambrecht) (06/10/91)

        I recently bought an LC and would like to connect an Epson LX80
        printer that I still have sitting around.  So far I found out
        that there are several ways of accomplishing this task
        (Grappler, MacPrint, Jetlink etc), but really would like to get
        a little more detailed information before I decide on something.

        Could anyone enlighten me about the most cost-effective to
        accomplish the task and the output quality I could expect?  As
        far as the economy is concerned - I saw, for example, that
        MacPrint is advertised for around $90 - I certainly wouldn't
        want to spend that much money on a printer that is probably only
        worth half that much.

        Thanks a bunch,

        **********************************
        Jo Hambrecht
                          Graduate Student

        Dept. of Engineering Mechanics

pretzel@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Daniel L Premetz) (06/14/91)

<
<        Could anyone enlighten me about the most cost-effective to
<        accomplish the task and the output quality I could expect?  As
<        far as the economy is concerned - I saw, for example, that
<        MacPrint is advertised for around $90 - I certainly wouldn't
<        want to spend that much money on a printer that is probably only
<        worth half that much.
<
<        Thanks a bunch,
<
<        Jo Hambrecht

I have a problem similar to the gentleman above.  I have a NEC P6 (Epson LQ80
compatible) with a *parallel* interface and would like to use it with a Mac LC
for very basic tasks.  Will a parallel/serial converter permit me to use it?
Are there any Word 4.0 drivers that will support it?  I too am looking for the
most cost-effective way to accomplish this task.

dnebing@bgsuvax.UUCP (David Nebinger) (06/14/91)

In article <13084@uwm.edu>, pretzel@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Daniel L Premetz) writes:
> <        I recently bought an LC and would like to connect an Epson LX80
> <        printer that I still have sitting around.  So far I found out
>
> I have a problem similar to the gentleman above.  I have a NEC P6 (Epson LQ80
> compatible) with a *parallel* interface and would like to use it with a Mac LC
> for very basic tasks.  Will a parallel/serial converter permit me to use it?

	The fact that the printers are parallel means that additional
hardware will be required.  I was checking to see if I could use a panasonic
(also parallel) printer just to spit out alot of code.  I checked around
in some of the Mac mags, and just called dealers who advertised having
the type of driver I was looking for.  They are out there, and in whole they
cost around $100.  But compared to buying an imagewriter it was quite a deal.
However, I did not invest in them, I'm saving for other bigger things.

	If you check out some Mac mags, you ought to find what your looking
for.  I believe I can still find the advertisement, so if you would like me
to send you the numbers, etc., just drop me an e-mail message, and I'll
send them to you.

David Nebinger
dnebing@opie.bgsu.edu
dnebing@andy.bgsu.edu

wbrown@beva.bev.lbl.gov (Bill Brown) (06/14/91)

In article <13084@uwm.edu> pretzel@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Daniel L Premetz) writes:
> (...) writes
> <        I recently bought an LC and would like to connect an Epson LX80
> <        printer that I still have sitting around.  So far I found out
> <        that there are several ways of accomplishing this task
> <        (Grappler, MacPrint, Jetlink etc), but really would like to get
> <        a little more detailed information before I decide on something.
> <
> < (...)
> <        Jo Hambrecht
>
>I have a problem similar to the gentleman above.  I have a NEC P6 (Epson LQ80
>compatible) with a *parallel* interface and would like to use it with a Mac LC
>for very basic tasks.  Will a parallel/serial converter permit me to use it?
>Are there any Word 4.0 drivers that will support it?  I too am looking for the
>most cost-effective way to accomplish this task.

For a parallel printer as serial to parallel converter is needed.  I bought
a grappler but there are other less expensive and, IMHO, better devices
available.  For software I use GDT Printlink Connection.  It seems to work
fine with all the applications I use.  Remember, a 9-pin printer is not
gonna give super-looking output,  but it does work.  I'm using an Epson
EX-1000 printer.  GDT has no driver for this but the MX driver works ok.

This setup allows me to talk directly to the printer from inside an application
(4th Dimension) when I need speed and am willing to settle for using the
printers built-in type faces.

It's cheaper and more flexible than using whatever Apple is now selling
for a dot-matrix printer.

Disclaimer:  These opinions are my own and have	    |
    nothing to do with the official policy or the   |  -bill
    management of L.B.L, who probably couldn't      |   wlbrown@lbl.gov
    care less about employees who play with trains. |