[comp.sys.mac.misc] Sys7 LAYO help

es2j+@andrew.cmu.edu (Edward John Sabol) (06/12/91)

I know there is no LAYO resource in the new Sys7 Finder. But someone please
tell there is some way of changing the Finder grid spacing. My theory is that
it is possible, and that the resource to be changed is "fvew". What I
want is to change the grid so that it is the same as is was in Sys6. I'd
appreciate any help. Thanks.

scott@watnxt2.ucr.edu (Scott Dunagan) (06/12/91)

Yes, there is an easy way.  Of course, as apple would have it, it is only
temporary.  Go to the Views Control Panel, set the text size to different
combination.  Select cleanup window from the special menu.  This will change
the grid spacing on the icon views.

All disclaimers apply.  My opinions do not, in any way, represent the opinions
or advice of the University of California, any of its departments, or affiliates
				scott@watnxt2.ucr.edu

hooverb@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (Bruce Hoover) (06/13/91)

From article <4cJEj3_00Vpc84240I@andrew.cmu.edu>, by es2j+@andrew.cmu.edu (Edward John Sabol):
> I know there is no LAYO resource in the new Sys7 Finder. But someone please
> tell there is some way of changing the Finder grid spacing. My theory is that
> it is possible, and that the resource to be changed is "fvew". What I
> want is to change the grid so that it is the same as is was in Sys6. I'd
> appreciate any help. Thanks.

If someone knows how to do this, I would really like to know too. I have
found a LAYO resource in the SYSTEM file in 7.0, but when I use ResEdit
to change the numbers for the spaceing, it seems to have no effect. Do I
need to change something else as well? Other things in the LAYO in
SYSTEM seem to take effect when changed, such as snap to grid.

I really want my old spacing back!!!

Bruce Hoover.

kos@cunyvms1.gc.cuny.edu (06/13/91)

In article <1614@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu>, hooverb@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (Bruce Hoover) writes:
>From article <4cJEj3_00Vpc84240I@andrew.cmu.edu>, by es2j+@andrew.cmu.edu (Edward John Sabol):
>> I know there is no LAYO resource in the new Sys7 Finder. But someone please
>> tell there is some way of changing the Finder grid spacing. My theory is that
>> it is possible, and that the resource to be changed is "fvew". What I
>> want is to change the grid so that it is the same as is was in Sys6. I'd
>> appreciate any help. Thanks.
>
>If someone knows how to do this, I would really like to know too. I have
>found a LAYO resource in the SYSTEM file in 7.0, but when I use ResEdit
>to change the numbers for the spaceing, it seems to have no effect. Do I
>need to change something else as well? Other things in the LAYO in
>SYSTEM seem to take effect when changed, such as snap to grid.
>
>I really want my old spacing back!!!

I too am looking for the equivelent of the old 'LAYO.'  Many of its functions
seem now to be in the 'fval' -- i think spacing was one of them.  But how does
one manipulate those numbers?

Bob Kosovsky   bitnet:  kos@cunyvms1.bitnet /internet:kos@cunyvms1.gc.cuny.edu

lasleyse@wam.umd.edu (Scott E. Lasley) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun13.114829.2030@timessqr.gc.cuny.edu> kos@cunyvms1.gc.cuny.edu writes:
>In article <1614@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu>, hooverb@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (Bruce Hoover) writes:
>>From article <4cJEj3_00Vpc84240I@andrew.cmu.edu>, by es2j+@andrew.cmu.edu (Edward John Sabol):
>>> I know there is no LAYO resource in the new Sys7 Finder. But someone please
>>> tell there is some way of changing the Finder grid spacing. My theory is
>>> that it is possible, and that the resource to be changed is "fvew". What I
>
>I too am looking for the equivelent of the old 'LAYO.'  Many of its functions
>seem now to be in the 'fval' -- i think spacing was one of them.  But how does
>one manipulate those numbers?

There is a set of TMPLs for ResEdit 2.1 that allow you to edit several
System 7.0 resources.  The file is caled ResEdit7.0tmpls or something
like that, and is available from sumex-aim.stanford.edu.  I do not
think ResEdit will grok fvew resources with these tmpls, but it will
allow you to edit fvals.  Hope this helps.

kos@cunyvms1.gc.cuny.edu (06/15/91)

In article <4cJEj3_00Vpc84240I@andrew.cmu.edu>, es2j+@andrew.cmu.edu (Edward John Sabol) writes:
>I know there is no LAYO resource in the new Sys7 Finder. But someone please
>tell there is some way of changing the Finder grid spacing. My theory is that
>it is possible, and that the resource to be changed is "fvew". What I
>want is to change the grid so that it is the same as is was in Sys6. I'd
>appreciate any help. Thanks.

Having done an initial probe into the problem I think that the file you want
to go to is rather "fval".  The problem is that you're not given choices like
"yes" "no" "other" but numbers.  So how are you supposed to know what
difference "3" or "-1" makes?  Well my ResEdit book ("ResEdit Complete") gives
a very rudimentary idea, but I need more than that.  Has any body spent the
time experimenting?
Bob Kosovsky