[comp.sys.mac.misc] Where in the world are the IconSpacingBits

hm292hu@unidui.uni-duisburg.de (Fred Hucht) (06/15/91)

In <1991Jun14.212924.12261@timessqr.gc.cuny.edu> kos@cunyvms1.gc.cuny.edu writes:

>In article <4cJEj3_00Vpc84240I@andrew.cmu.edu>, es2j+@andrew.cmu.edu (Edward John Sabol) writes:
>>I know there is no LAYO resource in the new Sys7 Finder. But someone please
>>tell there is some way of changing the Finder grid spacing. My theory is that
>>it is possible, and that the resource to be changed is "fvew". What I
>>want is to change the grid so that it is the same as is was in Sys6. I'd
>>appreciate any help. Thanks.

>Having done an initial probe into the problem I think that the file you want
>to go to is rather "fval".  The problem is that you're not given choices like
>"yes" "no" "other" but numbers.  So how are you supposed to know what
>difference "3" or "-1" makes?  Well my ResEdit book ("ResEdit Complete") gives
>a very rudimentary idea, but I need more than that.  Has any body spent the
>time experimenting?
>Bob Kosovsky

I have uploaded telmplates to edit the fval resource to sumex
(/tech/resedit7.0tmpl.hqx or something like that).
But I think the finder dynamically sets the icon spacing, there is no entry
for the spacing in "fval". The "fvew" resources seems to have no unique
structure, I could not create a TMPL that works. "fvew" seems to be an
enhanced DITL resource (much like "fmnu" is an enhanced "MENU"), you find
all dialog items there, sometimes together with an AppleEvent, sometimes not.
MAYBE one of the "fvew" resources is responsible for the icon spacing.

I think the people from Apple who knows how to change the spacing have
a great fun watching us looking around to find the right bits :-).

Maybe they give us a hint.... :-?

Fred Hucht, Institute of Theoretical Physics, University of Duisburg, Germany
email: fred@hal9000.uni-duisburg.de