[comp.sys.mac.misc] GIF -> StartupScreen follow up

Norton Chia (06/12/91)

I originally posted requesting info on how to keep nice colours when converting
to StartupScreen for using as a backdrop. Most people suggested Thors INIT and
replied to some who requested what info I got that I would see if DeskPicture
from Now Utils would require the screens to be of type StartupScreen.

Well the good news and bad news are thus:

Good news: DeskPicture only requires the pictures to be of type PICT, so all
           the nice colours can stay.
Bad news:  Choosing the PICT's colour table will mean you may lose your
           nice colour icons. (No way!)
      or   Preserving colour icons may mean a not very good colour picture.

Essentially, DeskPicture includes what Thors can do, but the ultimate choice
is yours. If you want to keep both colour icons and true to original backdrop,
I guess you can always look towards a 24 bit video card :)

PS  The Time GIF file I downloaded shows the girl with a burnt back when using
    the System palatte. :(

//  Norton Chia || I can be reached via e-mail  -->  norton@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU
/
/ Micro Support || Yes, this is Australia calling. //////  AppleLink: AUST0240
/
/ Uni of Sydney || No, I haven't got anything to say but "Thanks", if I forgot
/
///  When I'm talking half way around the world, my employers can't hear me
///

elliott@veronica.cs.wisc.edu (James Elliott) (06/13/91)

In <1991Jun12.050522.2469@metro.ucc.su.OZ.AU> Norton Chia writes:
>Bad news:  Choosing the PICT's colour table will mean you may lose your
>           nice colour icons. (No way!)
>      or   Preserving colour icons may mean a not very good colour picture.

One alternative might be to dither the PICT into the standard System
Palette using a program such as Adobe's amazing Photoshop. The image
will look a little bit grainier, but at least the colors will be
closer.
--
Jim Elliott		      "Like a bridge he'll come between us, not a wall"
elliott@veronica.cs.wisc.edu

kam@chinet.chi.il.us (Kevin A. Mitchell) (06/16/91)

The next version of GIFConverter (2.2.7) will feature dithering to various
color palettes. This means that it will produce startupscreens/backgrounds
that can use various system palettes. Also, you can create your own color
tables with ResEdit, stick them in GIFConverter (with names on 'em), and use
those, too.

Watch for 2.2.7. The features are in, but I have some testing before release.
Real Soon Now {:{)}.

--
Kevin A. Mitchell/GIFConverter Author
kam@chinet.chi.il.us