[comp.sys.mac.misc] ftp, binhex & "Unexpected EOF" errors?

kiran@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Kiran Wagle) (05/23/91)

I'm having a lot of trouble unbinhexing ftp'ed files using stuffit
classic. The trouble is usually "Unable to complete--unexpected EOF."
Occasionally i get a corrupted archive. Nisus was unable to find any
invisible/control characters in the file....

So what's an "EOF" in a binhexed document? [In a Scheme 'load' error
an unexpected EOF is an extra right paren... easy to debug!] And can i
solve the problem by finding/removing whatever this 'eof' is, or am i
doomed to never again be able to download anything?

BTW< this did not occur so much three months ago...before you say
it...yesterday, on my second try, i ftp'ed 'remember' from sumex (the
first time was an instance of the above problem). Today, i tried to
unbinhex 6 parts of the Nisus updater which were _mailed_ to me [no
chance of an ftp problem here???] and _all six_ had an unexpected
eof... yas, i did strip off the mail header & tried again...but no luck

Help!!!!
--
	...kiran
		__________kiran@copper.ucs.indiana.edu________(812) 331-1710

From the corrections column in a July Fresno, CA _Bee_:
"An item in Thursday's [issue] about the Massachusetts budget crisis
made reference to new taxes that will help put Massachusetts 'back in
the African-American.' The item should have said 'back in the black.'"

oleary@ux.acs.umn.edu (Doc O'Leary) (05/24/91)

In article <kiran.674998067@copper> kiran@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Kiran Wagle) writes:

[EOF problem when unbinhexing files deleted]

The only time I've ever had this problem (save for a bad modem transmission) is
when, for some reason, each line of the file had a leading space.  This just
happened when I downloaded Network Time for the lab I work in.  Using McSink
to remove the space, I was able to get them to unbinhex just fine.

         ---------   Doc

**********************   Signature Block : Version 2.5  *********************
*                                     |   OK, one last time . . . This is   *
* "Was it love, or was it the idea    |   an egg . . . This is an egg in a  *
*  of being in love?" -- PF           |   frying pan . . . Any questions?   *
*    (BTW, which one *is* Pink?)      |                                     *
*                                     |   --->oleary@ux.acs.umn.edu<---     *
******************   Copyright (c) 1991 by Doc O'Leary   ********************

ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Lanett) (05/24/91)

kiran@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Kiran Wagle) writes:

>first time was an instance of the above problem). Today, i tried to
>unbinhex 6 parts of the Nisus updater which were _mailed_ to me [no
>chance of an ftp problem here???] and _all six_ had an unexpected
>eof... yas, i did strip off the mail header & tried again...but no luck

Well here's your problem. You have to catenate the six parts and _then_
unbinhex them. Why unbinhexers don't do this automatically I don't know,
but if they want a whole file and you give them part 1 only, you'll definitely
get an EOF.
--
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Lanett						ml27192@uxa.cs.uiuc.edu

sentvas@hardy.u.washington.edu (Senthilvasan Supramaniam) (06/17/91)

I used to have exactly the same problem that your going thru
now. One kind soul referred me to a program called mcvert which
is available from sumex-aim. It converts BinHexed files into
MacBinary II format. It is a Unix program. By the way I had lots
of problems unsh'ing mcvert-16.shar, but I had no problems with
mcvert-15.shar. If you use mcvert-15.shar, ignore the error messages.
I also got a program called downline.hqx also from sumex-aim.
It is for the Mac. It converts .pit,.hqx and .sit extension files
automatically. Extremely useful. With them both, EOF's are just
a bad memory.

Hope that helps.
Senthil.

S. Senthilvasan            Internet: sentvas@milton.u.washington.edu
Seattle, WA                Voice:     (206) 548-9844  (home)