[comp.sys.mac.misc] DA launches changing current path

reynhout@cs.uri.edu (Andrew Reynhout) (06/11/91)

   Since the switch to sys7, everytime I launch a DA, the current path is
changed to the Apple Menu Items folder.  This is most noticeable in DAs like
sigmaEdit (a text editor) that open a SFdialog when they launch.

   Minor annoyance, I know.  I assume that Apple wanted to keep launching DAs
consistent with launching applications, rather than consistent with users'
expectations...

   Or is it just a quirk of my arrangement?

--
   <reynhout@cs.uri.edu>

jmatthews@desire.wright.edu (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun11.144202.9164@cs.uri.edu>, reynhout@cs.uri.edu (Andrew Reynhout) writes:
>    Since the switch to sys7, everytime I launch a DA, the current path is
> changed to the Apple Menu Items folder.  This is most noticeable in DAs like
> sigmaEdit (a text editor) that open a SFdialog when they launch.

I've noticed this too. Very annoying with one's favorite DA text editor and
terminal program. A QuicKeys2 Sequence works well to fix this: first a menu
QuicKey to bring up the DA then a Location (Extension) QuicKey to set the
Standard File location. Viola, DA opens with Standard File pointing to the
folder of choice. I wish there was a cheaper alternative.

o----------------------------------------------------------------------------o
| John B. Matthews, jmatthews@desire.wright.edu, am103@cleveland.freenet.edu |
| "Now why would Mike Wallace be standing around on MY porch with a TV crew?"|
o----------------------------------------------------------------------------o

scasterg@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Stuart M Castergine) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun11.231121.3918@desire.wright.edu> jmatthews@desire.wright.edu writes:
>In article <1991Jun11.144202.9164@cs.uri.edu>, reynhout@cs.uri.edu (Andrew Reynhout) writes:
>>    Since the switch to sys7, everytime I launch a DA, the current path is
>> changed to the Apple Menu Items folder.  This is most noticeable in DAs like
>> sigmaEdit (a text editor) that open a SFdialog when they launch.
>
>I've noticed this too. Very annoying with one's favorite DA text editor and
>terminal program. A QuicKeys2 Sequence works well to fix this: first a menu
>QuicKey to bring up the DA then a Location (Extension) QuicKey to set the
>Standard File location. Viola, DA opens with Standard File pointing to the
>folder of choice. I wish there was a cheaper alternative.

How aobut this: Put your DA in your folder of choice, and put an alias
of it in the Apple Menu Items Folder.

--
scasterg@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu  Stuart M Castergine
"Step by step they were led to practices which disposed to vice -- the