[comp.sys.mac.misc] OK, I've had the trial. Where's the jubilation?

pretzel@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Daniel L Premetz) (06/15/91)

Ok people, this is the deal.

I want to download software to my IIfx.  I read 'Answers to Frequently Asked
Questions' first and proceeded to FTP Giffer from sumex.  The transfer was
done in binary (Type set to I).  I then removed the file's header using a text
editor and downloaded it to my Mac via XModem.  My terminal program is
Red Ryder 10.3.  I wasn't sure if I should download the file in text or binary
so I did both.  The resultant files left in my Mac folder were both in text
icon form (that is, I could open both using Word 4.0).  I then used
StuffIt/AO 1.5.1 to decode (deBinHex) them.  StuffIt wanted to name both
decoded files Gifr110.sit, but I named one Gifrt110.sit instead.  When I tried
to use StuffIt to remove the .sit suffixes, no files were listed when I
selected 'Unpack File...'  At this point, both decoded files were still in
text icon form.  I then used Disk Tools II to change the files' types from
TEXT to APPL.  When I did this, both icons changed to vices.  Summarizing,
none of these files work worth a damn.  What's the scoop?

price@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu (John Price) (06/16/91)

In article <13121@uwm.edu>, pretzel@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Daniel L Premetz) writes:
>I want to download software to my IIfx.  I read 'Answers to Frequently Asked
>Questions' first and proceeded to FTP Giffer from sumex.  The transfer was
>done in binary (Type set to I).

This is your problem.  All files on sumex are in .hqx (BinHex) format.  You
need to download them in text format, then unBinHex them (with either
BinHex4.0 or Stuffit or whatever you like to use), and *then* unstuff them.

           John Price * * * * price@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu
           Where there is no solution, there is no problem.

scasterg@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Stuart M Castergine) (06/18/91)

In article <0094A29C.8889B0A0@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu> price@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu (John Price) writes:
>In article <13121@uwm.edu>, pretzel@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Daniel L Premetz) writes:
>>I want to download software to my IIfx.  I read 'Answers to Frequently Asked
>>Questions' first and proceeded to FTP Giffer from sumex.  The transfer was
>>done in binary (Type set to I).
>
>This is your problem.  All files on sumex are in .hqx (BinHex) format.  You
>need to download them in text format, then unBinHex them (with either
>BinHex4.0 or Stuffit or whatever you like to use), and *then* unstuff them.

I noticed another problem. the person selected the "Unpack Files..."
option in Stuffit. That is for _PackIt_ files, not Stuffit Files. To
unstuff a Stuffit file, you need to select Open Archive from the File
menu.

--
scasterg@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu  Stuart M Castergine
"Step by step they were led to practices which disposed to vice -- the

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) (06/18/91)

>In article <0094A29C.8889B0A0@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu> price@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu (John Price) writes:
>>In article <13121@uwm.edu>, pretzel@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Daniel L Premetz) writes:
>>>I want to download software to my IIfx.  I read 'Answers to Frequently Asked
>>>Questions' first and proceeded to FTP Giffer from sumex.  The transfer was
>>>done in binary (Type set to I).
>>
>>This is your problem.  All files on sumex are in .hqx (BinHex) format.  You
>>need to download them in text format, then unBinHex them (with either
>>BinHex4.0 or Stuffit or whatever you like to use), and *then* unstuff them.

By the way, it's "trials and *tribulations*", not "jubilation".

jas
Jeffrey A. Sullivan		| Senior Systems Programmer
jas@venera.isi.edu		| Information Sciences Institute
jas@isi.edu                    	| University of Southern California