[comp.sys.mac.misc] ~FinderToFront

bitting-douglas@cs.yale.edu (Douglas Bitting) (06/18/91)

NOTE: I DID NOT WRITE THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE.  IT WAS MAILED TO ME BECAUSE
STEVE'S NEWS SERVER IS BUSTED.  THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE WAS WRITTEN BY
sjonke.520@postman.gsfc.nasa.gov (Stephen Jonke), NOT ME.

----snip here---
I can't post for some reason, so would you mind posting this for me?

In article <1991Jun17.150252.1954@cs.yale.edu>, bitting-douglas@cs.yale.edu (Douglas Bitting) writes:

> In article <1991Jun17.124955.6093@cs.utk.edu> danny@utkux1.utk.edu (Danny McCampbell) writes:
> >Has anybody retrieved the Startup Application Finder to Front yet?
> >If so, what are your comments?  The reason I ask is because I have two
> >aliases in the Startup Items Folder along with FTF and no matter how I
> >order them with the !, #, ~ characters Finder to Front always launches
> >second.  Any ideas or was aliases overlooked when writing the program?
> >Thanks.
>
> The problem, as far as I can tell, is that aliases launch after apps.  So, if
> ~FinderToFront is an app in your startup items folder, it will not launch last
> unless all the items in your startup folder are apps.  So, simply make the
> ~FinderToFront in your startup iems folder an alias to it somewhere else.  This
> should make it launch last and do its job correctly.
>
> >Danny
>
> --Doug

I can vouch for Danny's problem.  Regardless of how I name FTF, no matter what
combination of aliases and apps, FTF refuses to launch last.  Putting all
aliases in my startup items folder changes the order, but they still don't
launch in alphabetical order.  Does anybody have a solution for this?

Incidentally, I think the fact that one of the aliases is to a DA (namely
the alarm clock) may be the problem because the alarm clock always seems to
go last -- however, you wouldn't think this would matter if it's an alias to
the DA.

Steve

-----snip here-----
--
Doug Bitting             | "And we know that in all things God works
PO Box 3043 Yale Station |  for the good of those who love him..."

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun18.070203.10885@cs.yale.edu> bitting-douglas@cs.yale.edu (Douglas Bitting) writes:

>In article <1991Jun17.150252.1954@cs.yale.edu>, bitting-douglas@cs.yale.edu (Douglas Bitting) writes:
>>
>> In article <1991Jun17.124955.6093@cs.utk.edu> danny@utkux1.utk.edu (Danny McCampbell) writes:
>> >Has anybody retrieved the Startup Application Finder to Front yet?
>> >If so, what are your comments?  The reason I ask is because I have two
>> >aliases in the Startup Items Folder along with FTF and no matter how I
>> >order them with the !, #, ~ characters Finder to Front always launches
>> >second.  Any ideas or was aliases overlooked when writing the program?
>> >Thanks.
>>
>> The problem, as far as I can tell, is that aliases launch after apps.  So, if
>> ~FinderToFront is an app in your startup items folder, it will not launch last
>> unless all the items in your startup folder are apps.  So, simply make the
>> ~FinderToFront in your startup iems folder an alias to it somewhere else.  This
>> should make it launch last and do its job correctly.
>>
>> >Danny
>>
>> --Doug
>
>I can vouch for Danny's problem.  Regardless of how I name FTF, no matter what
>combination of aliases and apps, FTF refuses to launch last.  Putting all
>aliases in my startup items folder changes the order, but they still don't
>launch in alphabetical order.  Does anybody have a solution for this?
>
>Incidentally, I think the fact that one of the aliases is to a DA (namely
>the alarm clock) may be the problem because the alarm clock always seems to
>go last -- however, you wouldn't think this would matter if it's an alias to
>the DA.
>
>Steve

Strangely, I have no problem with FTF.  I have an application and an
alias in my startup folder, along with FTF.  It runs last, when named
the default "~Fin..."

I wonder why.

jas
Jeffrey A. Sullivan		| Senior Systems Programmer
jas@venera.isi.edu		| Information Sciences Institute
jas@isi.edu                    	| University of Southern California