[comp.sys.mac.misc] Sys 7 little bucket in upper right corner

shell@cs.sfu.ca (Barry Shell) (06/06/91)

Has anyone had the following funny thing happen:
A little tiny bucket appears in the upper right hand corner of the
menu bar with an arrow pointing down into it. If you hold down the
option and command keys the bucket fills up with a nice beep. Doing
it again empties the bucket with a different sounding beep.
I was using a combination of pagemaker, Excel, McSink, Its Only a Clock,
had extensions like HP Deskwriter, SFScrollInit, SF Vol Init 1.5, had
Virtual memory and 32 bit mode off. May have had the scrapbook open.
It didn't harm anything and went away as I was closing applications, but
can't remember which one.
Is this part of system 7.0? Does it mean the bucket (?) is getting full?
Has anyone else seen this. It's cute.
Mail answers to me: shell@cs.sfu.ca
If anyone has the difinitive reason, I'll post it.
Barry

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun5.233110.1753@cs.sfu.ca> shell@cs.sfu.ca (Barry Shell) writes:

   Has anyone had the following funny thing happen:
   A little tiny bucket appears in the upper right hand corner of the
   menu bar with an arrow pointing down into it. If you hold down the
   option and command keys the bucket fills up with a nice beep. Doing
   it again empties the bucket with a different sounding beep.

   Is this part of system 7.0? Does it mean the bucket (?) is getting full?

Sounds like someone's found Easy Access... ;-)

jas
Jeffrey A. Sullivan		| Senior Systems Programmer
jas@venera.isi.edu		| Information Sciences Institute
jas@isi.edu                    	| University of Southern California

krazykid@bu-pub.bu.edu (Ernest Kim) (06/18/91)

In article <18187@venera.isi.edu>, jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) writes:
|> In article <1991Jun5.233110.1753@cs.sfu.ca> shell@cs.sfu.ca (Barry Shell) writes:
|>
|>    Has anyone had the following funny thing happen:
|>    A little tiny bucket appears in the upper right hand corner of the
|>    menu bar with an arrow pointing down into it. If you hold down the
|>    option and command keys the bucket fills up with a nice beep. Doing
|>    it again empties the bucket with a different sounding beep.
|>
|>    Is this part of system 7.0? Does it mean the bucket (?) is getting full?

This is called the "sticky fingers" option of System 7.  I believe it is supposed to save you the trouble holding down, lets say the shift key, when you need to select multiple objects.  The new issue of MacWorld has an article on system 7, and all new new features.

Ernest Kim

carr@apple.com (Randy Carr) (06/19/91)

In article <84008@bu.edu>, krazykid@bu-pub.bu.edu (Ernest Kim) writes:

> In article <18187@venera.isi.edu>, jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) writes:
> |> In article <1991Jun5.233110.1753@cs.sfu.ca> shell@cs.sfu.ca (Barry Shell) writes:
> |>
> |>    Has anyone had the following funny thing happen:
> |>    A little tiny bucket appears in the upper right hand corner of the
> |>    menu bar with an arrow pointing down into it. If you hold down the
> |>    option and command keys the bucket fills up with a nice beep. Doing
> |>    it again empties the bucket with a different sounding beep.
> |>
> |>    Is this part of system 7.0? Does it mean the bucket (?) is getting full?
>
> This is called the "sticky fingers" option of System 7.  I believe it is supposed to save you the trouble holding down, lets say the shift key, when you need to select multiple objects.  The new issue of MacWorld has an article on system 7, and all new new features.
>
> Ernest Kim

Uh, no.  The bucket and other little icons you see up in the corner is the
indication that 'Easy Access' has been turned on. This is the 'Easy Access'
control panel (& extension) that is doing this.  This is not a System 7.0
feature, but for 7.0 a control panel dialog has been added to make controls
a bit easier to turn on and off.  It also shows some of the other features
that Easy Access provides.  In 7.0, Balloon Help will tell you what each of
the variants to the Easy Access icons are indicating.  Each of which was
originally intended to facilitate handicapped users.  (The bucket is turned on
by pressing the Shift key five times in succession and turned off the same
way)

Randy Carr
System Software (I wrote the Help Mgr)
Apple Computer, Inc.