[comp.sys.mac.misc] Black & White background pattern problem solved

feinberg@acsu.buffalo.edu (john a feinberg) (06/17/91)

A while ago, I put up a post complaining that the desktop background pattern
on my IIsi was insisting on staying black and white.  Whenever I called up the
'General' control panel to change it to something else, all it gave me were
black and white choices--no color!  This problem usually came up after booting
my computer from a system 6.0.7 floppy.  The first time, I solved it by te-
diously reinstalling the system on the hard drive, carefully adding the right
extensions, control panels, and resources when the installer was done.  It wor-
ked, but it took a long time!  The next time, I figured I'd try installing it
on the 'backup' hard drive, and then only copy the system file.  After I in-
stalled the system on the backup hard drive, the desktop background was in
color booting from the original hard drive!  I don't know why things work this
way, but it is a little more convenient.  Next time, I'll install a minimal
system on the backup hard drive!  It shouldn't take too long to do.

John Feinberg
SUNY Buffalo

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (06/20/91)

In article <80192@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> feinberg@acsu.buffalo.edu (john a feinberg) writes:
>A while ago, I put up a post complaining that the desktop background pattern
>on my IIsi was insisting on staying black and white.  Whenever I called up the
>'General' control panel to change it to something else, all it gave me were
>black and white choices--no color!  This problem usually came up after booting
>my computer from a system 6.0.7 floppy.  The first time, I solved it by te-
>diously reinstalling the system on the hard drive, carefully adding the right
>extensions, control panels, and resources when the installer was done.  It wor-
>ked, but it took a long time!  The next time, I figured I'd try installing it
>on the 'backup' hard drive, and then only copy the system file.  After I in-
>stalled the system on the backup hard drive, the desktop background was in
>color booting from the original hard drive!  I don't know why things work this
>way, but it is a little more convenient.  Next time, I'll install a minimal
>system on the backup hard drive!  It shouldn't take too long to do.

John (and all stricken with this problem),
  This same thing drove me nuts for a couple days after I added my color
  board and monitor to my SE/30.  After doing lots of things (rebuilding
  the desktop, zapping PRAM, clenching my teeth :), I had a flash of
  inspirational thought.

  Early that month, I had found a cdev called DeskPattern.  It puts a
  funky color deskpattern on your system by messing with the System file
  resources!  In the docs, there was the statement "DeskPattern modifies
  ppat ID=16".

  Sure enough, that was the cause of the 'black and white only'
  situation.  It turns out that if ppat ID=16 is modified to be anything
  other than a gray background (alternate white and black pixels), you
  will loose the ability to set a color desktop pattern in the General
  Control Panel!

  Replacing ppat ID=16 with a virgin copy from my System Tools disk
  resulted in a clean system, one which now has a color desktop.  Yay!

  I hope this helps someone out; I know it is something I will _never_
  forget to check :-0
--
| Paul E. Jacoby, 3M Company, 3M Center, 235-3F-27                   |