[comp.sys.mac.misc] Me and my labs are searching for hope

rand@merrimack.edu (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun20.014803.1069@bsu-ucs.uucp>, 00mjderry@bsu-ucs.uucp writes:
> Within the last month, my life has become completely changed from a normal day
> to day life to week long bouts of kaos.  I have just taken the job as lab
> manager/system tech in the department of journalism of my school.  This means

Welcome to the club! It hurts less if you relax ;-)

> Having a server, however, would help us in security and file maintenence.
> Security reasons, basically for theft and file abuse (deleting/modifying, etc.)
> and maintenence, it would be easier to install and maintain the files at one
> computer rather than running around doing it on 60 different ones.

You might want to look at either KeyServer or Quota (?). These
products are license enforcers of a sort. You can tell them you only own 20
copies of PageMaker and they will make sure no more than 20 copies are every
run simultaneously. You can put the actual application on each machine
so there is no network performance hit. Your security problem wrt
copying gets solved because they slightly modify the application
making it inoperable unless the user has access to a license server.

The only problem is that the companies can be tough to get in contact
with since they appear to be one-man shows.

rand