[comp.sys.mac.misc] 16MHz 68000 upgrade for Plus, SE, Classic

zark@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Steven M Kosloske) (06/18/91)

A company called MacSource lists a $199 16MHx accelerator for the
Plus, SE and Classic.  I called them to ask about this item, and the
tech on the other end told me that they should be available in a month
or so, since they're still ironing out some bugs on it.  Supposedly, this
is a direct replacement for the 8MHz CPU.  Has anyone heard anything
about this product?

--
  (Steve Kosloske)                  | "Speed Racer was disqualified from
------------------------------------|  the race because he did not have a

pophal@nicmad.UUCP (Gerry Pophal) (06/21/91)

In article <13186@uwm.edu> zark@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Steven M Kosloske) writes:

>A company called MacSource lists a $199 16MHx accelerator for the
>Plus, SE and Classic.  I called them to ask about this item, and the
>tech on the other end told me that they should be available in a month
>or so, since they're still ironing out some bugs on it.  Supposedly, this
>is a direct replacement for the 8MHz CPU.  Has anyone heard anything
>about this product?
>
>--
>  (Steve Kosloske)                  | "Speed Racer was disqualified from
>------------------------------------|  the race because he did not have a
> Internet: zark@csd4.csd.uwm.edu    |  pineapple in his car." - Speed
> UUCP: uunet!zark@csd4.csd.uwm.edu  |  Racer , The Desperate Racer

 Although I don't know of this product here is instructions to make your own
from an article in Info-Mac Digest V7 #230;
Date: 30 DEC 89 19:19 CET
Subject: 16 MHz 68000 in Mac Plus/SE, again

In V7 Issue 225 I wrote:

>Hi, recently an article appeared in a german computer
>magazine, which suggested an exchange of the 8Mhz 68000
>processor against an 16Mhz 68000. They reported no timing
>problems.

Thanks to all who replied. Most of them pointed out that
a 16 MHz 68000 running at 8 MHz is in no way faster than
a 8 MHz 68000. Sorry for wasting your time, as I see now
I should have been more precise: What I want is a 16 MHz CPU
running at 16 MHz.

Here are the instructions from the cited article (c't 1/90):

 -------- start of instructions --------

Cut Pins 11, 12, 13, 20 of the old (8 MHz) CPU.
Connect Pins 11, 12 and 13 of the old CPU to ground.
Solder the new (16 MHz) CPU *upon* the old CPU (it's not
necessary to remove the old CPU), except Pins 11, 12, 13 and 20,
which are directly connected to the motherboard, and except Pin 15,
which receives the clock rate (16 MHz) from Pin 19 GLU (Mac SE) or
Pin 8 of the quartz oszillator (Mac Plus) via 3 inverters 74LS04.
You will have to experiment with the exact number of inverters needed.

 -------- end of instructions --------

As you might see from the above translation, I am really no expert
in this area (what the hell is an inverter?). But the whole
procedure seems to be simple enough, so I would like to ask
again:

Has anybody tried this? Are there any experiences or
comments? Hardware gurus: What do you think, will it work?
Will it be as fast as a Portable? If not, why not?....

Once again, if you reply to me, I will summarize to the net.

Thanks in advance.

-- Markus. Bitnet: ug142bc@DM0LRZ01

Markus Fest
Fachbereich Mathematik
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universitaet Muenchen

--
UUCP:harvard-\         att--\          | Sysop Mad Mac BBS(608)221-3841
   ucbvax!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!pophal | Gerry Pophal(608)271-3333ext2091