[comp.sys.mac.misc] Printing to Postscript files under System 7/TrueType

cklim@athena.mit.edu (Carl K. Lim) (06/22/91)

Hi, I used to print on my Macintosh by saving the postscript to a file (using
Command-F), downloading it to a UNIX network, and printing it using macps.

But after switching to System 7 and the new laserwriter driver (now just clicking
the checkbox), a simple single page Word file using Times generated over 800K of
postscript (I had to interrupt the print job).  The postscript file seems to
contain the LaserPrep definition and a lot of binary (?) code.  Is this suppose
to be the TrueType definition of Times?

Another problem is: my mac isn't attached to any printer.  But I will eventually
print on a printer that has the standard postscript fonts like Times, Helvetica,
etc.  How I can fool the laserwriter driver to not download every single font
into the postscript file?

I'll appreciate any help.  Thanks in advance.

===================
Carl Lim
MIT '92
cklim@athena.mit.edu

tanju@cbnewsi.att.com (tanju.cataltepe) (06/22/91)

Automatically included LaserPrep file is not the main reason
for the large postscript files, truetype font information is.
If you can live without the truetype screen versions of the
Laserwriter fonts (many of the bitmaps are also included
anyhow) just remove the truetype fonts from the system
folder. Then the only extra stuff will be the LaserPrep
which is about 60K.

-Tanju

elliott@veronica.cs.wisc.edu (James Elliott) (06/22/91)

In <1991Jun21.204538.3195@athena.mit.edu> cklim@athena.mit.edu (Carl K. Lim) writes:

>[...] a simple single page Word file using Times generated
>over 800K of postscript (I had to interrupt the print job).  The
>postscript file seems to contain the LaserPrep definition and a lot
>of binary (?) code.  Is this suppose to be the TrueType definition of
>Times?

>Another problem is: my mac isn't attached to any printer.  But I will
>eventually print on a printer that has the standard postscript fonts
>like Times, Helvetica, etc.  How I can fool the laserwriter driver to
>not download every single font into the postscript file?

You probably want to check out StripFonts. I posted it to
comp.sys.mac.digest and comp.binaries.mac a week ago and it's not
showed up; maybe something about the way I posted it confused the news
software.

You can get it via anonymous ftp from veronica.cs.wisc.edu; cd
src/stripfonts. There's a readme there as well.

--
Jim Elliott		      "Like a bridge he'll come between us, not a wall"
elliott@veronica.cs.wisc.edu