[comp.sys.mac.misc] network basics...

adchen@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Anthony Dunyeh Chen) (06/23/91)

The other day, my roommates and I wired up our very own 3-mac network in
our room using TOPS TeleConnectors (DIN-8). (ooh ahh 8-)  Anyway, my
mac, which the other two are daisy chained from, is also plugged into
our phone jack. So in addition to having our macs networked, we have
phonelines split off of the TOPS connectors.  We figured while we
weren"t playing netgames, might as well have phones in each room too.

What we found out was, that the phones are active even if we have
net-active programs sending stuff from mac to mac.  Correct me if I'm
wrong anywhere... phonenet cables only require 2 wires, while the normal
phone cables use 4 wires, 2 of which are power.

Since both phone and appletalk work simultaneously over the same cables
is the signal being converted to analog form? so that in essence, the
voice and appletalk data are sent via different bandwidths? or if not,
what really goes on?

Thanks for any answers.

Curiously yours,
Tony Chen, adchen@phoenix.princeton.edu

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) (06/23/91)

In article <11089@idunno.Princeton.EDU>, adchen@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Anthony Dunyeh Chen) writes...
>The other day, my roommates and I wired up our very own 3-mac network in
>our room using TOPS TeleConnectors (DIN-8). (ooh ahh 8-)  Anyway, my
[runs Appletalk on same wire to which the phones are attached]

 My understanding is that Phonenet uses two wires, and the phone use the other
 two, of the four conductors in RJ-11 cable. Since the phone normally uses two
 wires, this is how the phone company can hook up a second line for you
 without major renovations. I thought about doing what you did when I hooked
 up my network, but my concern was that the Appletalk stuff would modulate the
 phone company network, and I'd get billed for calls to bizzare places! Can
 anyone clear this up for sure?

Richard C. Long | long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com            | Selfware: If you like
--------------- | ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long | this program, send
A First Edition | long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com | yourself five bucks!

In article <11089@idunno.Princeton.EDU> adchen@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Anthony Dunyeh Chen) writes:

>The other day, my roommates and I wired up our very own 3-mac network in
>our room using TOPS TeleConnectors (DIN-8). (ooh ahh 8-)  Anyway, my
>mac, which the other two are daisy chained from, is also plugged into
>our phone jack. So in addition to having our macs networked, we have
>phonelines split off of the TOPS connectors.  We figured while we
>weren"t playing netgames, might as well have phones in each room too.
>
>What we found out was, that the phones are active even if we have
>net-active programs sending stuff from mac to mac.  Correct me if I'm
>wrong anywhere... phonenet cables only require 2 wires, while the normal
>phone cables use 4 wires, 2 of which are power.

You are wrong.  Normal phone cables require two wires, (Tip and Ring), the
inside wires on RJ-11 and RJ-14 jacks.  PhoneNet style connectors
require two wires, normally the next set of wires on the RJ-11 and RJ-14
jacks.  For instance, I have wired up a network using 6 conductor phone wire,2
for the voice phone line, 2 for the data phone line, and 2 for AppleTalk.
(I'm using dual-RJ11 (the standard modular jacks))
Just say NO to police searches and siezures.  Make them use force.
(not responsible for bodily harm resulting from following above advice)