[comp.sys.mac.misc] Macs in a Student Lab

martyz@idui1.csrv.uidaho.edu (Marty Zimmerman) (06/21/91)

First of all, I want to thank all those who responded to my request for
information on setting up a networked lab of LCs with no hard-drives.  I'm
editing down the suggestions into a summary that I'll post later.

Here's my next question: a main point in most of the suggestions was to create
a RAM disk and move the active system folder there to cut down on floppy-drive
accesses.  I can move the folder, but how do I convince the system that the new
version is the "Blessed" folder?  I have an app called Blesser, but it requires
a reboot to take effect.  That won't work for a RAM disk.

Also: any suggestions on RAM disk software?  I'm using one from the info-mac
archives called RAMDISK 1.1.

Thanks again.

--------------------------
Marty Zimmerman			 <martyz@idui1.csrv.uidaho.edu>
Computer Services		 <martyz@idui1.bitnet>
University of Idaho
Moscow, ID USA

s902255@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (A. Vanderstock) (06/21/91)

martyz@idui1.csrv.uidaho.edu (Marty Zimmerman) writes:

>First of all, I want to thank all those who responded to my request for
>information on setting up a networked lab of LCs with no hard-drives.  I'm
>editing down the suggestions into a summary that I'll post later.

>Here's my next question: a main point in most of the suggestions was to create
>a RAM disk and move the active system folder there to cut down on floppy-drive
>accesses.  I can move the folder, but how do I convince the system that the new
>version is the "Blessed" folder?  I have an app called Blesser, but it requires
>a reboot to take effect.  That won't work for a RAM disk.

>Also: any suggestions on RAM disk software?  I'm using one from the info-mac
>archives called RAMDISK 1.1.

Use the better RAMdisk 2.11 from the same place. If you are running System 7.0
then sorry it won't work. It allows the RAM disk to take control and even
boots up Multifinder if the files are copied across by it... But it still has
problems : You need a boot disc for every single mac unless you do not have
accounts for every single machine. Horses for courses.

--
Andrew Vanderstock
s902255@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au

s902113@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Luke Mewburn) (06/24/91)

s902255@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (A. Vanderstock) writes:

>martyz@idui1.csrv.uidaho.edu (Marty Zimmerman) writes:

]First of all, I want to thank all those who responded to my request for
]information on setting up a networked lab of LCs with no hard-drives.  I'm
]editing down the suggestions into a summary that I'll post later.

]Here's my next question: a main point in most of the suggestions was to create
]a RAM disk and move the active system folder there to cut down on floppy-drive
]accesses.  I can move the folder, but how do I convince the system that the new
]version is the "Blessed" folder?  I have an app called Blesser, but it requires
]a reboot to take effect.  That won't work for a RAM disk.

The version of ram disk that Andrew mentions below (2.11 or 2.21) will
switch systems for you. Note that the following files: system/multifinder/
finder all have to be copied from the same place for the bless to work
(Dunno why...)

]Also: any suggestions on RAM disk software?  I'm using one from the info-mac
]archives called RAMDISK 1.1.

>Use the better RAMdisk 2.11 from the same place. If you are running System 7.0
>then sorry it won't work. It allows the RAM disk to take control and even
>boots up Multifinder if the files are copied across by it... But it still has
>problems : You need a boot disc for every single mac unless you do not have
>accounts for every single machine. Horses for courses.

There _IS_ a ram disk specifically for sys7, but it runs as an application.
It's called App-Disk-20, and I think it's at sumex-aim.stanford.edu in the
info-mac/cdev directory (check this)

]Thanks again.