[comp.sys.mac.misc] true type/6.0.7/suitcase ii questions

andre@cs.pitt.edu (06/24/91)

i just installed true type on my mac ii and now i have some questions:

is it my imagination, or do things with text run a little slower?

can i keep true type fonts separate from the system file and rely on
suitcase ii to bring them in?  (i tried this initially, but it didn't
seem to work).

should i keep the bitmapped fonts around?

why do some fonts have two true type styles and some have four
(courier vs times)

where can i get the rest of the laser writer fonts?

thanks.

								-andre.
--
Andre Srinivasan  :"If you ain't bleeding, you ain't working."
317 MIB	          :			- Pete The Master Tombstone Cutter

jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) (06/25/91)

In article <10579@pitt.UUCP> andre@cs.pitt.edu () writes:
>i just installed true type on my mac ii and now i have some questions:
>
>is it my imagination, or do things with text run a little slower?

It probably isn't your imagination, but see below.

>can i keep true type fonts separate from the system file and rely on
>suitcase ii to bring them in?  (i tried this initially, but it didn't
>seem to work).

Yes, if you use Suitcase II version 1.2.10 or newer.

>should i keep the bitmapped fonts around?

I keep bitmaps 12 point and smaller around. They are optimized and
faster (this is re: your first question). For larger sizes Truetype
is rendered better. Some people keep 14 point and below. Some keep all
the bitmaps.

>why do some fonts have two true type styles and some have four
>(courier vs times)

I don't know, really, but it probably is 'cause Courier is a "simpler"
font, and italic can be derived.

>where can i get the rest of the laser writer fonts?

I've heard rumors Apple will release them later this summer.

--
     /  o         /      Jim Budler      jimb@silvlis.com      |  Proud  | Sys-