[comp.sys.mac.misc] MaxAppleZoom

ar4@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Piper Keairnes) (12/02/90)

What is the idea behind MaxAppleZoom, how is it done, and does it work on a
IIci running 6.0.7?

I have tried using the INIT, but it appears with a cross through it every
time.

_____
Piper Keairnes
ar4@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Purdue University)

In article <5371@sage.cc.purdue.edu> ar4@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Piper Keairnes) writes:
>What is the idea behind MaxAppleZoom, how is it done, and does it work on a
>IIci running 6.0.7?

MaxAppleZoom expands the screen size.  It works by tweaking certain parameters
within the video driver that control the timing on the video card.  The only
place I have seen these parameters even PARTIALLY documented is in
Inside Mac V, first draft.  There really is a lot of untapped potentiality
in the high-res video card-- for instance, it supports hardware scrolling up
to 990 * 512.

It will not work with the IIci built-in video.

pfile@sprite.berkeley.edu (Rob Pfile) (12/03/90)

In article <1990Dec2.070049.23702@eng.umd.edu> russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:

>MaxAppleZoom expands the screen size.  It works by tweaking certain parameters
>within the video driver that control the timing on the video card.  The only
>place I have seen these parameters even PARTIALLY documented is in
>Inside Mac V, first draft.  There really is a lot of untapped potentiality
>in the high-res video card-- for instance, it supports hardware scrolling up
>to 990 * 512.

Does anybody out there know of similar documentation for the 8*24 GC board?
I miss the extra pixels of the Toby frame buffer as much as I like 24-bit
color...

Given the expandability of Video RAM on the GC board, I can believe that
pulling the same trick that MacAppleZoom does would probably be possible,
perhaps even easier than with the Toby/Mac II Hi-Res board.

Anyone know?

Rob Pfile
pfile@sprite.berkeley.edu

jnixon@spam.ua.oz (John Nixon) (06/26/91)

[blah]

>Yes, it doesn't work for me either.  Referring to the documentation,
>the author says that perhaps someday when a new system version comes
>out MaxAppleZoom will need to be updated, and whether it gets updated
>will depend upon how good people are about paying their shareware fees
>($25).

[blah]

I think that time may have come.

[blah]

> Send your fee to

        Not just yet, thanks.

>Naoto Horii
>B.P. 1415
>1000 Bruxelles
>BELGIUM

        It sounds like a GREAT idea, and I would really love to send the
guy some money, if only I could get it to work :-{

>Meanwhile, I'll try one of the stopgap measures suggested in this
>thread.

        As far as I can determine, I have tried everything mentioned so
far, all to no avail.  (Mac IIcx, Apple HiRes RBG Monitor, 7.0, Apple 8 bit
[ie. <= 256 colours] video card.)  Perhaps the card is one of the "new"
ones not supported, as mentioned in the README-type document.

--
John Nixon (jnixon@spam.ua.oz.au)
Applied Mathematics Department, The University of Adelaide