[comp.sys.mac.misc] Impact of notebooks on low end?

norton@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (Norton Chia) (06/22/91)

With the upcoming Apple notebooks, I think it may steal sales from Apple's
low end offerings like the Classic and LC. Opinions?

Cheers,
Norton
--
//  Norton Chia || I can be reached via e-mail  -->  norton@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU /
/ Micro Support || Yes, this is Australia calling. //////  AppleLink: AUST0240 /

tlt38517@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Terry Lee Thiel) (06/22/91)

>With the upcoming Apple notebooks, I think it may steal sales from Apple's
>low end offerings like the Classic and LC. Opinions?
I think alot of students will go for a notebook they can carry to the library
etc.  I doubt most would have the $$ for a desktop machine in addition to the
laptop.

gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu (06/24/91)

In article <norton.677581424@extro>, norton@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (Norton Chia) writes:
>With the upcoming Apple notebooks, I think it may steal sales from Apple's
>low end offerings like the Classic and LC. Opinions?

Nice opinions.  You may wish to check this week's MacWEEK (I got on CI$ and
read the stories early on ZMAC).  They speak of how Apple Marketing is
concerned about the exact same thing, and that many people think that the new
notebooks will steal thunder from the low-end Macs.

Heck, a "Classic Portable" weighing in at 5.4 lbs with a 8.5x11x1.5" form
factor for under $2000 retail just might do it, too...

---
Jim Gaynor - AgVAX System Manager - Academic Computing - Ohio State University
VMS:<gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu>  UNIX:<gaynor@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
Disclaimer : All opinions expressed here are mine and only mine.  So there!
Witty Quote: "Shoot him now!  Shoot him now!" - Daffy Duck, "Rabbit Seasonings"

torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) (06/25/91)

gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu writes:

>In article <norton.677581424@extro>, norton@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (Norton Chia) writes:
>>With the upcoming Apple notebooks, I think it may steal sales from Apple's
>>low end offerings like the Classic and LC. Opinions?

>Nice opinions.  You may wish to check this week's MacWEEK (I got on CI$ and
>read the stories early on ZMAC).  They speak of how Apple Marketing is
>concerned about the exact same thing, and that many people think that the new
>notebooks will steal thunder from the low-end Macs.

>Heck, a "Classic Portable" weighing in at 5.4 lbs with a 8.5x11x1.5" form
>factor for under $2000 retail just might do it, too...

  I don't know whether Apple should be worried about this or not.  A friend
of mine went to a talk recently, where it was predicted that desktop PCs
would be almost extinct in five years or so, totally displaced by portables
and notebooks.

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
"And in the death, as the last few corpses lay rotting in the slimy
 thoroughfare, the shutters lifted in inches, high on Poacher's Hill..."

paul@taniwha.UUCP (Paul Campbell) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun22.125508.7514@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> tlt38517@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Terry Lee Thiel) writes:
>I think alot of students will go for a notebook they can carry to the library
>etc.  I doubt most would have the $$ for a desktop machine in addition to the

Ah .... but will it go "bong" when they turn it on? ......

	Paul

--
Paul Campbell    UUCP: ..!mtxinu!taniwha!paul     AppleLink: CAMPBELL.P

Tom Metzger's White Ayrian Resistance has been enjoined to stop selling Nazi
Bart Simpson t-shirts - Tom of course got it wrong, Bart is yellow, not white.

costello@stx.UUCP (Michael E. Costello) (06/26/91)

In article <877@taniwha.UUCP>, paul@taniwha.UUCP (Paul Campbell) writes:

> Ah .... but will it go "bong" when they turn it on? ......

If you have seen the Knowledge Navigator video of several years ago,
even *it* went "bong" when you turned it on (which in the case of the
KN amounted to opening it up).

Michael Costello, Meeting Director * costello@world.std.com * 617-631-8188
     BCS*Mac  *  The Boston Computer Society Macintosh User Group