[comp.sys.mac.misc] Resedit 2.1 & Finder Quarrel

csmith@lewhoosh.umd.edu (Christopher Smith) (06/21/91)

I am currently fighting with ResEdit 2.1, and I'm having a very
annoying problem with it.  I can only use Resedit once before having
to restart the computer.  Let's say I boot up my Mac SE.  Sometime I
run Resedit, and things work out beautifully.  But if I try to run it
again the thing gives me a message dialogue saying that the Finder on
that particular volume is corrupted, and I hav eto restart the
computer.  The message seems to be coming from Resedit because the
Resedit icon is in the right-hand corner the screen (I'm running
MultiFinder).  I replaced the Finder, but I'm not really looking
forward to replacing the entire System Folder.

I am running Resedit 2.1 on a Mac SE with System 6.0.5/6.1.5.  Worked
fine for a while, but then this started coming up.  The application
resides on a partition that does not have a System Folder -- does that
make a difference?  I have tried replacing my working copy of Resedit
with a copy of the original, and that didn't do any good.  I have
checked for viruses, and none showed up.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  Please EMAIL responses
to csmith@lewhoosh.umd.edu or smithc@stolaf.edu -- just in case for
some reason you can't reach me at one or the other.

Thanks very much in advance!

Christopher Smith

usenet@Apple.COM (USENET Administrator) (06/25/91)

In article <8747@umd5.umd.edu>, csmith@lewhoosh.umd.edu (Christopher Smith) writes:

> I am currently fighting with ResEdit 2.1, and I'm having a very
> annoying problem with it.  I can only use Resedit once before having
> to restart the computer.  Let's say I boot up my Mac SE.  Sometime I
> run Resedit, and things work out beautifully.  But if I try to run it
> again the thing gives me a message dialogue saying that the Finder on
> that particular volume is corrupted, and I hav eto restart the
> computer.

   I suspect the problem has been fixed in 2.1.1 (to be released RSN), but
we have not seen it on your configuration. I'll make sure to test it.
   It sound's like you are trying to open Finder with ResEdit. ResEdit
normally complains that Finder is in use. Are you running in single finder?
   After I look into this, I'll report again if we can determine anything
else.

keith
resedit egr.

peterc@Sugar.NeoSoft.com (Peter Creath) (06/27/91)

I have run into a similar problem with MENU's (but I solved it).  Open the
MENU resource and Get MENU Info.  There is an option for the MENU ID# (I
think that's what it's called).  I had changed the MENU resource numbers,
but hadn't changed their ID#'s.

Now for my problem.  I'm having trouble with scrollbars.  Sure, I can
custom-write one for every dialog that needs one, but that's painfully
inefficient.  I'm trying to write either a universal routine (but I can't
figure out what variables I need to pass in order for it to work.  And I
don't want scroll while I'm on the thumb.  Only after I've release the
mouse button) or a CDEF.  Does anyone have the (freeware) source code for
a scrollbar CDEF?

If you have answers to either of the above, PLEASE mail me (my news system
is brain-dead)
--
peterc@sugar.neosoft.com           "Listen, there's a hell of a good
peterc@sugar.hackercorp.com         universe next door.  Let's go!"