[comp.sys.mac.misc] SYSTEM-7, COMM.TOOLBOX, ZMODEM-STREAMING, AND PRE-EMPTIVE MULTITASKING...

perl@PacBell.COM (Richard Perlman) (06/25/91)

In article <7474@vela.acs.oakland.edu> rdthomps@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Robert D. Thompson) writes:
>	...does the Comm.Toolbox... ... support the ZModem protocol ?

Yes, If you have a Zmodem tool.  The toolbox by itself does not
support anything other than the tools you place in it.  (An empty
box for holding tools is probably a better metaphor than a box of tools.)

>	...is the Multitasking of System-7 Pre-Emptive ?
>	(I assume this is probably yes).

And you'd assume wrong, It's "cooperative multi-tasking".  Wait
for 8.0 or whatever, they'll eventually get it right.

>	... is it reasonable to provide high-speed background
>	transfers with a streaming protocol such as ZModem
>	using System-7 ?

There's bound to be a lot of opinions on this, but I'd say it
depends more on what hardware you're using and what you're trying
to run in the foreground and how fast "high-speed" means to you.

--
"What is politics, after all, but the compulsion to preside over
property and make other people's decisions for them." Tom Robbins

granteri@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Grant Erickson) (06/27/91)

perl@PacBell.COM (Richard Perlman) writes:
>In article <7474@vela.acs.oakland.edu> rdthomps@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Robert D. Thompson) writes:
>>	... is it reasonable to provide high-speed background
>>	transfers with a streaming protocol such as ZModem
>>	using System-7 ?
>
>There's bound to be a lot of opinions on this, but I'd say it
>depends more on what hardware you're using and what you're trying
>to run in the foreground and how fast "high-speed" means to you.
>

>--
>"What is politics, after all, but the compulsion to preside over
>property and make other people's decisions for them." Tom Robbins
>                               --  --
>Richard Perlman   |*|  perl@pbseps.sf180.pacbell.com  |*|  (415) 545-0233

A further note on System 7.0 and Z-Modem. I use Z-Term and under System 6.0.7,
My 5/105 IIsi, and my Practical Peripherals modem, I was able to achieve about
98% efficiency running MF 6.1b9. Now under System 7.0, I can only obtain about
94% efficiency.

Because of this change I am led to believe that either A) Z-Term doesn't work
as efficiently under System 7.0, or B) something with Dave Alverson's Z-Modem
algorithm isn't getting along as well with the way the ports are handled under
System 7.0.

Any comments?
Grant Erickson

| UUCP: {crash, tcnet}!orbit!pnet51!granteri           |
| ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!granteri@nosc.mil           |
| INET: granteri@pnet51.orb.mn.org                     |
| The right half of the brain controls the left half   |
| of the body. This means that only left-handed people |
| are in their right mind.                             |