[comp.sys.mac.misc] Upgrade from a cx to a ci - responses

deboni@fernando.llnl.gov (Tom DeBoni) (06/27/91)

In comp.sys.mac I wrote:
>I'm thinking of upgrading my IIcx to a ci via the Apple logic board swap.
>I'd appreciate hearing any advice anyone has on this. I'd also like to
>know what the prices are on this and where I can have it done. Optionally,
>I'd consider buying a ci logic b oard and doing the work myself - not as
>wild as it might seem, in my case.

I got a lot of email responses, and a few requests for reprints of the advice
I received, so I'll summarize it here.

The overwhelming majority of the respondents said I should wait until October.
My subscription to MacWeek has been interrupted by bureaucracy, so I hadn't
heard what most claimed - that Apple is going to introduce an '040 machine in
a ci-shaped box then, and provide upgrade paths along with it. One person said
I should skip the upgrade and just buy a new ci. That actually had occurred to
me - the benefits of getting a whole new clean box may be worth it if I could
sell my cx for a reasonable price. I managed to find out that the upgrade
price for the path I'd considered is $1499 retail and around $1090 at a
university I have access to. This isn't bad, but I think I'll wait. The lure
of an '040 and a Christmas season special like Apple has had in the past is
too strong to pass up.

Thanks to all for the good advice.

Tom DeBoni