[comp.sys.mac.misc] X windows on a Mac>

jjz34245@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Cub Fan - Zim man) (06/20/91)

Is there a program which will turn a mac into an X station?

If so, is this program available via anon FTP?

Thanks,

-Zim

CAH0@bunny.gte.com (Chuck Hoffman) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun19.182613.15359@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
jjz34245@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Cub Fan - Zim man) writes:

> Is there a program which will turn a mac into an X station?

Mac-X does this.

> If so, is this program available via anon FTP?

Mac-X is a commercial product.

Chuck Hoffman, GTE Laboratories, Inc.    |  I'm not sure why we're here,
cah0@bunny.gte.com                       |  but I am sure that while we're
Telephone (U.S.A.) 617-466-2131          |  here, we're supposed to help
GTE VoiceNet: 679-2131                   |  each other.
GTE Telemail: C.HOFFMAN                  |

markkj@ee.mu.OZ.AU (Mark Johnston) (06/22/91)

CAH0@bunny.gte.com (Chuck Hoffman) writes:

>> Is there a program which will turn a mac into an X station?

>Mac-X does this.

	Ummm, I think that you will find that Mac-X is X.25 for Macs, _not_ X
as in X-Windows...  To run X-Windows on the Mac, one needs to purchase AUX
and the X-Windows package that runs under (?) AUX.

>> If so, is this program available via anon FTP?

>Mac-X is a commercial product.

    Mark Johnston.          Internet: markkj@{ee, ecr, mullauna.cs}.mu.oz.au
                            MUD: Farlinnin

ephraim@think.com (Ephraim Vishniac) (06/22/91)

In article <markkj.677584031@ee.mu.OZ.AU> markkj@ee.mu.OZ.AU (Mark Johnston) writes:
>Ummm, I think that you will find that Mac-X is X.25 for Macs, _not_ X
>as in X-Windows...  To run X-Windows on the Mac, one needs to purchase AUX
>and the X-Windows package that runs under (?) AUX.

This response is completely wrong. MacX *is* an X-windows
implementation, and you do *not* need AUX to run it.

--
Ephraim Vishniac    ephraim@think.com   ThinkingCorp@applelink.apple.com
 Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142

math1h3@JANE.UH.EDU (David H. Wagner) (06/26/91)

In article <14247@goofy.Apple.COM>, Tkaczuk.apple.com (Rick Donnelly) writes:

>Cost of MacX, when released, was $299.  I do not know the current price.

Trouble is, your resellers still don't know about the product.  (As far
as I can tell).

David H. Wagner
My opinions on this matter are probablistically and otherwise independent of
any held by:
The University of Houston.

hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner) (06/27/91)

CAH0@bunny.gte.com (Chuck Hoffman) writes:

>In article <1991Jun19.182613.15359@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
>jjz34245@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Cub Fan - Zim man) writes:

>> Is there a program which will turn a mac into an X station?

>Mac-X does this.

Don't forget eXodus from White Pines.  It is the third party X-Windows
software.

>Mac-X is a commercial product.

So is eXodus!

                             -- Pat --

      +--------------------------+---------------------------------------+
     /    Patrick Hoepfner       |    NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center    \
    / America Online: PatrickH9  | Internet: hoepfner@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov \
   +-----------------------------+------------------------------------------+

warner@scubed.com (Ken Warner) (06/27/91)

    In article <1991Jun25.215544.15668@menudo.uh.edu> math1h3@JANE.UH.EDU writes:
    >In article <14247@goofy.Apple.COM>, Tkaczuk.apple.com (Rick Donnelly) writes:
    >>Cost of MacX, when released, was $299.  I do not know the current price.
    >Trouble is, your resellers still don't know about the product.  (As far
    >as I can tell).
    >David H. Wagner

I couldn't find it in the APDA catalog!  All I found was Mac X.25...

Ken Warner

edgar@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (06/28/91)

>I couldn't find it in the APDA catalog!  All I found was Mac X.25...

MacX is not an APDA product, it is an Apple product.  I guess that means
dealers can sell it, too...

Product number M0108LL/B (MacX version 1.1)
Suggested retail $295.00.

--
  Gerald A. Edgar                Internet:  edgar@mps.ohio-state.edu
  Department of Mathematics      Bitnet:    EDGAR@OHSTPY

mbt@ESD.3Com.COM (Brad Turner) (06/29/91)

warner@scubed.com (Ken Warner) writes:
>    In article <1991Jun25.215544.15668@menudo.uh.edu> math1h3@JANE.UH.EDU writes:
>    >In article <14247@goofy.Apple.COM>, Tkaczuk.apple.com (Rick Donnelly) writes:
>    >>Cost of MacX, when released, was $299.  I do not know the current price.
>    >Trouble is, your resellers still don't know about the product.  (As far
>    >as I can tell).
>    >David H. Wagner

>I couldn't find it in the APDA catalog!  All I found was Mac X.25...

I just called Apple and got this info:
   MacX $295.00 list price
   part# M0108LLB

-brad-
--
v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v
Brad Turner | 5400 Bayfront Plaza  | Marketing Engineer   | (408) 764-5261