[comp.sys.mac.misc] MMINIT & SoundEdit 2.0.3

umduddr0@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Brendan Duddridge) (06/29/91)

Has anyone had a problem with the Memory Manager Init and Sound Edit 2.0.3?
I consistently get a "The application 'SoundEdit' unexpectidly quit with an
error of Type 1", or something like that.  I'm using the Extension Manager
Init and did a step by step search for the nasty little init causing the
problem.  MMINIT was definitely the culprit.  Removed MMINIT and SoundEdit
worked fine.  Put MMINIT back in and SoundEdit quits whenever I click anywhere
on the menu bar.

I'm using a Mac IIsi with 5 Mb Ram.  Is the Memory Manager bug in the IIsi,
or is it just in the IIci?  I was under the impression that I had to have the
MMINIT init installed for the video speedup trick to work properly (that's
the one where you increase your cache size to speed up the onboard video).

Any ideas?  I use SoundEdit all the time, so I don't want to give up using
it and I don't like the idea of having to put up with slow video.  And I can't
afford an external video card yet.

Thanx for any info anyone can give me on this....

Brendan Duddridge
umduddr0@ccu.umanitoba.ca

blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) (06/29/91)

umduddr0@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Brendan Duddridge) writes:

>Has anyone had a problem with the Memory Manager Init and Sound Edit 2.0.3?
>I'm using a Mac IIsi with 5 Mb Ram.  Is the Memory Manager bug in the IIsi,
>or is it just in the IIci?  I was under the impression that I had to have the
>MMINIT init installed for the video speedup trick to work properly (that's
>the one where you increase your cache size to speed up the onboard video).

Issue 1: Don't use inits you don't understand
Issue 2: Don't use MMInit
Issue 3: Don't use MMInit under System 7

The Memory manager Init was designed to fix a performance problem with
allocating high numbers of chunks of memory on certain machines under
6.0.x.  It conflicts with System 7, the version you have probably
conflicts with System 6 (we don't know which, uh, "helpful person"
distributed this to the net, but they sent a version out that was
severely damaged) and the performance problem is fixed correctly in
System 7 all by itself without any INITs (Extensions.)  Throw away that
damn INIT and reboot.

--Brian Bechtel     blob@apple.com     "My opinion, not Apple's"