[comp.sys.mac.misc] Just My Opinion: Spaceship Warlock

tj@pons.cis.ohio-state.edu (Todd R Johnson) (06/30/91)

In article <18145@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) writes:
>>Spaceship Warlock, CD-ROM Game by REACTOR, Inc.
>>$89.95 + shipping from EduCorp
>>

>>Probably quite a few people have seen the ads for this game and asked
>>themselves, Is there any way in Hell this thing might be worth $90?
>>My intent here is to provide the information you need to answer this
>>question.

	I agree with most of the review, but I must add that I think
the interface is very poor and does not match the quality of the
graphics and animation which are excellent.  The mouse clicks aren't
always recognized and it's not clear when you can click on something.
Sometimes trying to click on an object will move you instead.  If they
had just changed the mouse pointer to indicate the direction of
movement (as in Bard's Tale), the interface would have been a lot
better.  I must say, however, that the game is not worth $90.  In our
lab, an 8 year played through the entire game in just a few hours.  I
would put the value of the game at about $30---a price that can be
achieved by splitting the cost between several people.

	---Todd

--
Todd R. Johnson
tj@cis.ohio-state.edu

danny@garnet.berkeley.edu (Danny Lee) (07/01/91)

In article <1991Jun29.190354.6191@cis.ohio-state.edu> tj@pons.cis.ohio-state.edu (Todd R Johnson) writes:
>In article <18145@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) writes:
>>>Spaceship Warlock, CD-ROM Game by REACTOR, Inc.
>>>$89.95 + shipping from EduCorp
>>>

>	I agree with most of the review, but I must add that I think
>the interface is very poor and does not match the quality of the
>graphics and animation which are excellent.  The mouse clicks aren't
>always recognized and it's not clear when you can click on something.
>Sometimes trying to click on an object will move you instead.  If they
>had just changed the mouse pointer to indicate the direction of
>movement (as in Bard's Tale), the interface would have been a lot
>better.  I must say, however, that the game is not worth $90.  In our
>lab, an 8 year played through the entire game in just a few hours.  I
>would put the value of the game at about $30---a price that can be
>achieved by splitting the cost between several people.

	I agree!  I received the game as a birthday present and was
very disappointed when I finished it in a matter of hours!  The graphics
are excellent, the sound marginal - should of used more of the audio
track of the cd.  The interface lacks a lot but what can you expect from
the original creator of MacPlaymate and Virtual Vallerie? :^)

--
Danny Lee
danny@garnet.berkeley.edu