[net.bugs.4bsd] bug reports to 4bsd-bugs

whm@arizona.UUCP (06/06/83)

In regard to sending bug reports to 4bsd-bugs, if you send an ordinary
letter to 4bsd-bugs, you get back something like the following:

 From ucbvax!UCBARPA:daemon Thu Jun  2 04:16:37 1983
 Date: 1 Jun 83 15:10:55 PDT (Wed)
 From: ucbvax!UCBARPA:bugs
 Subject: Re: horrendously catastrophic kernel bug
 To: arizona!whm

 ----------
 Your bug report has been received but does not conform to the standard format.
 Each report should describe only one bug.  Bug reports must be submitted
 in RFC822 format and conform to the following outline. Thank you.
 If you just have a question, mail to 4bsd-help instead of 4bsd-bugs.

 				Computer Systems Research Group

 Date:	(date the report is received)
 From:	(valid return address)
 Subject: (short summary of the problem)

 	(Detailed description of the problem, suggestion, or complaint)
 Repeat-By:
 	(procedure to repeat the problem)
 Fix:
 	(description of how to fix the problem)
 	If you don't know the fix, don't include this section or "Fix:".
 	If you do know, don't forget to put 'Fix' at the end of the index line.

 <source directory> ::=  bin | man | etc | games | ideas | lib | local |
 			misc | sys | ucb | usr.bin | usr.lib
 <system> :: =	4.1 | 4.1c | 4.2 | (what ever system you have)

I presume (hope) that somebody takes a look at bug reports that don't
conform to the standard, but that's not obvious.  I've never tried
sending anything to 4bsd-help, but it would be interesting if "they"
actually answered questions via that medium.

					Bill Mitchell