[comp.sys.mac.wanted] Please Help Me!!!!!

mas@ulysses.att.com (Michael A. Schoen) (06/08/90)

I am new to both netnews and Mac telecommunications (I got my modem yesterday)
and am in need of answers to a lot of questions.  The clearing house bit
in the summary means this: I think that there may be a lot of people who
want the answers to the questions I am asking - so, if anyone with any answers
could e-mail them to me, and anyone with a similar question could e-mail that
to me, I would be happy to forward all the information.

Just so that everyone knows the situation: I am using a
Prometheus ProModem 2400G and MAcKNOWLEDGE 1.02a software.  I have both
BinHex 5.0 and the stuffit set.  If necessary I will be willing to get other
software (hopefully shareware; poor student (:-) )  For unix, I have an
account with ATT and at Harvard (by the way, if anyone gets their mail returned
to them, please try sending it to schoen2@husc8.harvard.edu because I need it
badly - thanx).

Ok.  Now for the fun part -->

a) Are there any local mac BBSs in central NJ (South River, New Brunswick)?
Also, any reccomendations on CompuServe vs. GEnie vs. Delphi?  I have an
account on CIS, but that doesn't mean that its worthwhile to use it.

b) Exactly how does one go about getting software from the archives on sumex?
I tried 'ftp sumex-aim.stanford.edu', and got a host unreachable message.
I know that the host is not unreachable, because I could get to the login level
with 'itelnet sumex-aim.stanford.edu'.  Please give full instructions on how
to use ftp (along with other good mac ftp sites)

c) how can i transfer text files from my account at att to my mac?  I have a
dial-in access number.

d) how can i get the comp.mac.binaries files to be usuable.  I assume that
first I would transfer the text to my mac, but then what???

Thank you in advance.

Michael A. Schoen
AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill  <-- Provided for identification only

mas@ulysses.homer.att.com

or (if needed) schoen2@husc8.harvard.edu

dankg@tornado.Berkeley.EDU (Dan KoGai) (06/09/90)

In article <13084@ulysses.att.com> mas@ulysses.att.com (Michael A. Schoen) writes:

>b) Exactly how does one go about getting software from the archives on sumex?
>I tried 'ftp sumex-aim.stanford.edu', and got a host unreachable message.
>I know that the host is not unreachable, because I could get to the login level
>with 'itelnet sumex-aim.stanford.edu'.  Please give full instructions on how
>to use ftp (along with other good mac ftp sites)

	Try IP number here--maybe your ftpd and inetd are using different
host lookup table file (usually it's /etc/hosts).  Here's IP address of
sumex.

sumex-aim.stanford.edu	36.44.0.6

	(For sure, IP number is absolute address of host like your phone
number.  internet address is just an alias and won't work unless it's
registered in your local host file in case of ftp)

>c) how can i transfer text files from my account at att to my mac?  I have a
>dial-in access number.

	BSD already have xmodem package--it can do both xy modem with other
setups.  I myself is using even better zmodem package.  If you are using
xmodem package and your communication program has xmodem capability, you just
go:

xmodem -[sr]a text.file #r for receive and s for send

	But you are working on Macintosh and that means you can use quick
and dirty way--just use cut and paste--to paste a text, you open text with
text editor or word processor, cut any text you want, type in "cat >file"
then paste text directly from your communication appl.  When done, just
push control-D and you are done.
	To capture text is even easier--you just select from your comm appl
window and cut or copy.  That's it!  (My comm appl is Zterm and this is
the best I know and I recommend that you use it, too)

>d) how can i get the comp.mac.binaries files to be usuable.  I assume that
>first I would transfer the text to my mac, but then what???

	Okay, you first save the article, which is in binhex format.  Then
you truncate headers and merge article if necessary.  Then send/capture text
as text--not binary then use binhex to extract binary contents. (you can
use Stuffit151, too)
	Even easier is using mcvert on unix site.  It allows multiple
file unbinhexing which are splitted to multiple files, as well as batch
unbinhexing concatanated binhex file with header and other garbages.
the only thing you have to do is type in "mcvert binhex-file" and mcvert
takes care of the rest.  in this case you save all articles in
comp.binaries.mac and "mcvert ~/News/Comp.binaries.mac" and voila!  you get
all of them.  But remember, you usually sort save order in order to unbinhex
concatanated articles in mcvert.  Sometimes some files are not posted or
not posted in order.  To get a copy, you ftp sumex-aim.stanford.edu
(I'm kind of tired of discussing article:  I don't know how many people
asked me for mcvert--I'm thinking of posting it to comp.sources.mac).
	Enjoy MacLife with Unix account!

____  __  __    + Dan The "On my account with Zterm now" Man
____| ______ 	+ Voice:	+1 415-549-6111
|     |__|__|	+ USnail:	1730 Laloma Berkeley, CA 94709 U.S.A
    |____|____	+ "What's the biggest U.S. export to Japan?"
  \_|    |      + "Bullshit.  It makes the best fertilizer for their rice"