[comp.sys.mac.wanted] 24-Hour FKEY?

ralph@mtunq.ATT.COM (Ralph Brandi) (06/09/90)

Okay, here's a beastie I'd find very helpful, but have never seen:
I could really use an FKEY that would switch my Mac between 12 and
24 hour time.  I have an application that requires 24 hour time, but
everyone else who uses the computer here prefers 12 hour time in the
menu bar (SuperClock! is a wonderful program....)  It's a pain to
have to open the Control Panel every time I run this program, and
life would be much easier if I could just hit a couple of keys and
change the time.  Anybody out there seen anything like this?
Anybody willing to write something that does this?  (It does sound
like the ideal kind of thing for an FKEY, a simple toggle
operation.)  Thanks.

--
Ralph Brandi     ralph@mtunq.att.com     att!mtunq!ralph

Work flows toward the competent until they are submerged.

philip@Kermit.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (06/15/90)

In article <1119@mtunq.ATT.COM>, ralph@mtunq.ATT.COM (Ralph Brandi) writes:

> Okay, here's a beastie I'd find very helpful, but have never seen:
> I could really use an FKEY that would switch my Mac between 12 and
> 24 hour time.  I have an application that requires 24 hour time, but
> everyone else who uses the computer here prefers 12 hour time in the
> menu bar (SuperClock! is a wonderful program....)  It's a pain to
> have to open the Control Panel every time I run this program, and
> life would be much easier if I could just hit a couple of keys and
> change the time...

Couldn't you use a macro program to record "open Control Panel and
select 24hr"? (To be fair to the other users, of course you would want
to have a keystroke to revert to 12hr.) I haven't used macro programs -
can anyone else comment?

Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

ralph@mtunq.ATT.COM (Ralph Brandi) (06/16/90)

In article <1990Jun14.170906.18278@Neon.Stanford.EDU> philip@pescadero.stanford.edu writes:
>In article <1119@mtunq.ATT.COM>, ralph@mtunq.ATT.COM (Ralph Brandi) writes:

>> I could really use an FKEY that would switch my Mac between 12 and
>> 24 hour time.  I have an application that requires 24 hour time, but

>Couldn't you use a macro program to record "open Control Panel and
>select 24hr"? (To be fair to the other users, of course you would want
>to have a keystroke to revert to 12hr.) I haven't used macro programs -
>can anyone else comment?

I suppose I could do this, but I'm not currently running any macro
programs on my Mac, and I'm loathe to start.  I don't trust
MacroMaker (which is free), I don't like AutoMac (which came with
Microsoft Word), I don't trust the software which came with our
DataDesk keyboard, and I'm not really prepared to spend the money on
QuicKeys at the moment.  Not to mention that the macro approach
would be slower than an FKEY.

But I haven't gotten any response yet on such a thing existing....